Caninsulin dose increase advice

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Jen and Alfie, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Hi everyone

My boy Alfie has just finished his first week on Caninsulin and I'm doing a 12 hours curve at home for my vet today.

He's said previously that given the numbers we're seeing, he'll probably increase both his daily shots to 2 units (he said they usually only increase the total dose by half a unit per day, so one 2u shot and one 1.5u shot, but his number are so high he thinks it's fine).

What do you guys think? Does this seems sensible at this stage given his numbers? I was hopeful last night when I saw a nice (if still high) curve developing. But today his number just seem stubbornly high. I'm going to test him every couple of hours now for the rest of today to see what's happening.

Does it usually take a few days for insulin to start taking effect?

Thanks in advance

Jen

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi Jen! Weekends can be a little slower on the forum :). Glad your Vet likes small increases of 0.5U. We like to suggest 0.25U or 0.5U. I haven't heard of just increasing one shot at a time yet :bookworm:. From the data you have I think you would be ok to increase both shots to the new dose. Just make sure to get those Pre-Shot tests (PS) ;).

Past couple night cycles clearly show the insulin is working, you just haven't found Alfie's ideal dose yet :cat:. He seems to be hitting nadir as expected, between +4 and +6. Don't try to rush finding it though, stick with the slow steady increase. But I think you may have been asking more, when will you see better numbers? Unfortunately, every cat is different (ECID). Some people see immediate improvements in BG numbers, some never see curve BG behaviour, and some it takes over a month or so. You are headed in the right direction though, I think :smuggrin:.

3. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Thank you :)

Yes, I'm glad he seems to be responding. Hopefully we're headed in the right direction and will find his dose soon.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You'll read "it's a marathon, not a sprint" on here all the time. Just keep up the gradual dose increases. A kitty can go from barely responding to insulin to suddenly becoming very responsive once you get to the good dose. It isn't always a smooth increase in response. That's why home testing is key. :smuggrin:

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Nice to see a few yellows. Hold the 2 a few more days.... Then we can determine if another raise is needed.

6. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Yes, very happy to see a few more yellows! I don't know how excited I'll be if we get a blue number! :)

7. JanetNJ

I think it's time to up that dose. I'd try 2.5 tomorrow

8. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

I'm a bit worried upping his dose while I'll be a work during the day and can't keep an eye on him.

Do you think it'll be ok to keep him on 2 units and keep monitoring his levels until Friday when I've got a day off so will be home all day?

My vet has said it can take a few days for a new dose to take effect. Is that your experience?

9. JanetNJ

You can wait until Friday if you want. You should see some difference right away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.