Caninsulin safe? Help--need to start today!

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Cynthia and Sara, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynthia and Sara

Cynthia and Sara New Member

Hello everyone,

here's the cross reference to post in health:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26525

Just talked with my vet who wants to start her on Caninsulin as we know it and how it works on my cat, just to try to get her numbers down post- dental treatment/ infection and see if she goes back into remission....

but now Im scared reading the FDA post!

did this affect batches in Europe also? (we are in france...)

thanks for your help,

2. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hello. I read through the thread you have on health and just wanted to add that caninsulin/vetsulin has does seem to have been affected worldwide and very few vets are prescribing it these days.

I know you already had a nice response to the 0.6 units BID you are giving, but please do consider what the advisories are saying.
    One bottle may be fine and the next has things wrong with it that cause the insulin to work later, or not at all, or work too much or act like water.
    It is very unreliable as a first choice insulin and we have seen a few members dealing with a huge question mark as to why their cats' diabetes is not more regulated resulting in awful rollercoasters for their cats on this insulin of late.
    However once they switch off the caninsulin/vetsulin, things become much smoother.
    Perhaps sharing some of the info in the stickies here about the recall and warnings would help?

If your kitty needs to be insulin for a while, please consider making the switch.

Hoping you will not need it for long however.
    paws crossed
    Kimmee

3. Cynthia and Sara

Cynthia and Sara New Member

Hi Kimmee!

and thanks for your kind words! from an FDMB legend :D

Didnt know it had affected batched worldwide! tried to read at the Vetsulin website, but then they sounded like it was all very light and not a huge problem. and I figured if the vets here havent seen any difference with their patients, then that must be true.

But, then again, most owners here seem to follow whatever their vet says, and most shoot blindly. Im the star at the vet's office because I home test!
    so perhaps people wouldnt have noticed the reactions to bad batches.....I can't figure out why they haven't done a complete recall--forbidding it entirely!

I really want to try Lantus, and my vet does too. We're just going to go a week and see, and so far the bootle I have is good....
    I dont like th eidea of her on a rollercoaster--too much for her to have to go through especially at her age, so if I see that happening will stop right away. I've had some luck smoothing out the drops with food though. We'll see.

Now need courage for this morning's shot!

but I'll spread the word to them and others about the batches!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.