Caninsulin without a prescription

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Cat girl, Jul 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

hi just want to share that I found a site in Canada called the pet pharmacist and you can order Caninsulin without a prescription.really cheap too.10ml bottle is $28 and 10x2.5ml is $70. But this one only ships in Canada only.still looking for one that ships all over.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  2. Griffin's Mom

Griffin's Mom Member

Hi,

New here but that is the insulin my guy is on. What is the website?

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I haven't seen CatGirl around for awhile. There is a pet pharmacy in Concord that delivers. I've used them and they are reliable and another member indicated she got other meds from them cheaper than what she had been paying elsewhere. Doesn't appear you need a prescription. No prescription is needed for human insulin in Ontario so I presume pet insulin is the same. Here's the list of Caninsulin products from their website. :)

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Nice find Linda. Since the Caninsulin is listed as OTC (over the counter) it can be bought without a vet's order.

"
    Does my veterinarian have to be contacted for me to buy an over-the-counter or Livestock Management Act product?
    No! OTC and LMA products can be ordered without a veterinarians authorization."

http://www.thepetpharmacist.ca/faq

Products with a "Pr" nest to the name would require a vet prescription to order.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I've used The Pet Pharmacist a few times now to order AlphaTrak test strips. Even with taxes and shipping they're $15 less per vial of 50 than what I pay at my vet's office. They're very good, quick to ship and very responsive if they know their stock is back ordered. They'll call you and let you know when they expect to have more stock. Recently they called to give me a heads up that I should order test strips 2 to 3 weeks before I need them because they're having difficulty with the suppliers.

They post on Face Book about various pet topics but a recent post was concerning the issues they're having with the supply chain for meds. They attributed the difficulty/delay to pressure that vet hospitals (organizations?) were putting on suppliers to make it more difficult for people to access goods outside vets' practices. You should be able to find this on Face Book.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

They have the alpha test strips as being $69... That's way more than I pay. I pay $48 at adw site when I use a $5 off.

8. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I believe the ADW site is in US funds, while the Pet Pharmacist is in Canadian funds, so in essence with the high exchange rate we have right now, the prices are basically the same.

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Ah I see. Thanks

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  10. MrWorfMen's Mom

Interesting you got a call but maybe that's because you have them delivered and I pick mine up. I've been getting my strips there since 2015 so I'm practically on a first name basis with the staff there. It would have been nice to get a call ahead of time because I got blind sided when I called to re-order just this past week. Thankfully I re-order when I get down to a box or two. I'm trying to figure out who we can call/write to complain about this. I'm starting with Zoetis as they need to realize that there are lots of meter alternatives including human meters and for the premium we pay for their product, making it harder to obtain the strips is just going to kill their business especially when the FS strips are readily available. :mad:

11. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Can you buy Freestyle light strips in Canada? They are made by the same company that makes the AT. They work in the AT meter as they are the same. The Freestyle light is much less expense. I order 200 at a time.

12. MrWorfMen's Mom

Yes we can get the FS strips in Canada and they are indeed much cheaper than the AT strips.....almost a 50% difference. I am 99.9% sure they are "physically" the same, but those branded as AT strips have been batch tested to determine which code on the AT meter will produce readings as close to animal lab values as possible. If you happen to have your AT meter set to the ideal code for your vial of FS strips, the readings will be very accurate, but since we know about 4 different cat codes, you stand a 25% chance of very accurate readings and a 75% chance that your readings will be in the ballpark but not as accurate as they could be. If there are more cat codes we are not aware of, which I think is doubtful, but nevertheless possible, the chances of completely accurate readings go down.

Interestingly, I've seen at least two or three folks from the US indicate the FS strips were basically the same price as the AT strips at local retailers in their particular area so unless one is shopping online for bargains, the FS strips are not always a more economical choice for some people.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.