Canned cat food ??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bonnie Dune, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie Dune

Bonnie Dune New Member

We are new to the board and are in the process of making our own cat food.
    In the mean time... what canned cat food brands do you value most?
    We live in the land of Organic stores and trying to shop all of them recently have found a canned cat food called
    HALO
    - It's cat food canned Chicken recipe is 4.5% crude protein and 1.5 % crude fat. 1.5 fiber and 90% Moisture.
    It's soupy when you open it - and our Bonnie loves her food soupy. She seems to love this brand over all others so far - and we are leaning on a raw diet soon.
    What brands do you like best? And can you order online?
    Thanks, and best wishes to all :0)
    Bonnie Dune and her family ~

Attached Files:

• Dune.jpg
      Dune.jpg
      File size:
      48.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Take a look at Janet's food tables. Wellness is preferred, Fancy Feast (low carb, gluten free flavors) is probably most widely used. Pet Food Direct is the most often mentioned of the online sources. You might try Nature's Variety freeze dried, my cats love it in small quantities (I have the cats that never finish any food, to my great disappointment).

Try a few things and see what works, but I suggest not buying cases right away.

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Halo is ok but many people here feel that it contains too many unnecessary veggies/fruits and that the cans are mostly water with very little actual food. I don't think this brand is on either canned food chart, http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html, but I know it has been discussed on the old FDMB board before.

Many low carb brands of canned foods can be bought online. PetFoodDirect.com and OnlyNaturalPet.com are two, among many others.

Popular brands of canned foods fed by FDMB members range from the inexpensive (Fancy Feast, Friskies, Special Kitty, etc) to the expensive premium (Innova EVO, Nature's Variety Instinct, Merrick, etc). The "best" brand is the one that your cat likes to eat (most importantly) and you can afford and can find easily.

I fed a variety of brands: Innova EVO, Nature's Variety Instinct, Weruva, ProPlan, Merrick Before Grain. My cat liked having a variety of "flavors" and textures.

People here do feed RAW, either homemade or a commerically available brand (frozen or freeze dried). I think some may feed RAW in addition to canned.

4. Bonnie Dune

Bonnie Dune New Member

Thanks Gia $ Quirk and squeem3 :0)
    I will check out the brands you mentioned !!
    I know Bonnie likes her food soupy because she's had over a thousand dollars of dental :I
    She doesn't meow so much as "m'c cow" now, really cute because her tongue sticks out ~
    And if I try to add water to other brands she turns away... .
    But ANYTHING for Bonnie :0)
    purrs,
    Bonnie and family ~

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

you can easily make any canned food (even raw food) soupy - just add lots of water or for more flavor - chicken broth and mix.

That's what I do and girls are good with it - plus it makes them pee more - so don't freak if you see more than normal pee in the LB after adding water - that's a good thing.

By lots of water - for example I typically add about 3 ounces of water to a 3 ounce serving - one can of FF and one FF size can of water - if using a larger can then fill halfway or so and it will give you what you're looking for.

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.