canned food effects on oral health

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mike R, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike R

Mike R New Member

I cant help but wonder what, if any, effects canned food has on our little buddies oral health? Please share any knowledge or suggestions you may have.
    thank you

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

No better or worse than dry but benefits of canned completely outweigh dry food.

3. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Which is worse for your teeth potato chips or mashed potato? I don't think it makes much difference as far as the teeth go. My cats actually never chewed the dry food anyway so what effect could it have on thier teeth? It was obvious when the vomitted after eating the dry food was still whole, they didn't chew at all. The only difference I see is that sometimes directly after eating thier breath stinks a little when they eat canned food (basically it smells like the food) just like your breath stinks after you eat garlic or something but it has nothing to do with your teeth. After you rinse your mouth or eat something else or brush your teeth the smell goes away.

Actually I would bet dry food is actually worse for the teeth. Dry food contains grains (corn, wheat, rice, etc.) which is what makes it higher in carbohydrates (something cats don't need) Carbohydrates are basically sugar, while pure sugar (glucose, fructose, galactose, dextrose, maltose) are the purest form that the body can use as energy immediatly without having to do much processing, starches (grains and corn, potato) are broken down by amylase an enzyme in saliva into sugar. They are the second easiest to digest form of energy. Since they are alread turned into sugar in the mouth (and "sugar" is what the oral bacteria that damage teeth live on) then dry food containing grains etc. has to be worse for the teeth than canned foods which are mostly protein and fat (both of which are converted into energy after reaching the stomache and intestines).

Dr. Lisa (and others) recommend feeding your cat peices of raw meat (about lima bean sized) or freeze dried pure meat cat/dog treats which they will chew and clean thier teeth with. I toss a few cubes of any kind of meat to my cats almost daily (raw beef, chicken, turkey, lamb) They also like pork but pork should only be given cooked (samonella bacteria) They are crazy about little cubes of cooked ham. I actually let them have a raw turkey drumstick which they seemed to rather enjoy chewing on the ends of the bone and tearing at the skin more than eating the muscle meat! Just never give cooked "bird bones" they splinter.

4. Mike R

Mike R New Member

Thank you monique and spooky for your detailed response we really appreciate it.

5. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

You can also brush your cat's teeth to remove food particles and bacteria. Use only pet toothpaste that does not contain sugars (such as malt). You can use a pet toothbrush or finger brush or a piece of gauze. CET toothpaste is god but you can only get it from a vet or a few places online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.