Canned food recommendations for diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sharon Candido, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharon Candido

Sharon Candido New Member

Hi, My cat recently was diagnosed as diabetic. I understand the need for him NOT to be on dry. Many cat food sites don't mention carbs in the nutrition count. I'm feeding Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain Free Salmon. What do you think? Also if you think this is a good choice, are their less expensive canned cat foods with good nutrition? I have 4 cats and want them all off dry. Thanks so much for your help!!!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Check out Dr. Lisa's food chart. She has spent a tremendous amount of time compiling and charting wet/canned foods. Protein, carbs, calories, etc.
    I downloaded it onto my tablet and took it shopping so I could compare. We are currently feeding Fancy Feast Classics and Friskies pates, also baked unseasoned chicken breast, chicken bone broth and some unseasoned cooked fish.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/page-2#post-2213517

Sharon Candido likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

There is a link to Dr Pierson's cat food database in my signature. You can filter the foods by criteria such as max % of carbs.

Sharon Candido likes this.
  4. Sharon Candido

Sharon Candido New Member

Thank you so much for the info. I haven't yet found in my research how many carbs a diabetic cat can safely have in a day. Do you know? Thanks again!!!

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Dr. Pierson suggests: "start with protein minimum of 40, fat maximum of 50, carb max of 10, and for cats with kidney issues....phos less than 300" 10 is the max carbs but lower is usually better!

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a matter of how many carbs a day, or meal like with human diabetics (or anyone watching carb intake). I think it's the carb percentage of the food we feed that is calculated, the wet food with 10% or less carb content. And of course the other components, protein, fat and phosphorus is important. I use food that is lower than 7% carb, and I make sure that Idjit gets around 300 calories a day. He had lost weight at diagnosis, gained a little back, now he is in really good shape, lean and sleek. He was getting too tubby before the diabetic weight loss started. I make sure he has extra protein with the baked chicken and fish.
    At first, until I could remember what the carb and calorie count was for each variety, I took a marker and marked the carb and calorie count for each can on the label. Then I could calculate how much to feed a day, so he got enough calories. When we used up all the medium carb food that we had and there were no more cans with more than 7%, I didn't have do that any longer. I know the Fancy Feast cans (3 oz) are a bit less than 100 calories, and the Fancy Feast cans (5.5 oz) are a bit less than 200 calories. I still have my handwritten table of the varieties we buy, and can refer to when needed. When I buy the larger cans of Friskies, I measure 1/3 cup per serving, which would be 1/2 of a 5.5 oz can.
    My next venture will be higher protein wet food, like Weruva and Tiki Cat. I have been trying to find it in stock in town, without success so far. I am hoping to find some so I can buy one can of each variety/flavor to see if he likes it. I don't want to order cases from Chewy and have him not eat it.

7. Mags920

Mags920 Member

That is exactly what I have done, marked the carb count on the cans of food. Houston is currently getting 1/2 can of Friskies in the am, an afternoon snack most days & a special treat for dinner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.