Canned Friskies vs Fancy Feast

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Moosmommy, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

So i have been looking alot at the dry and canned food charts and am amazed by how much lower the carbs are in the canned food!!
    I see that Fancy Feast and Friskies are both low in carbs and pretty comparible otherwise.
    Does anyone recommend one over the other?
    Also, I have 2 cats, one is Diabetic one is not. Should I just feed them both the canned or feed them seperately and stay on the regular dry food for my other cat?
    Any suggestions or advice?
    Thanks!
    Annie
    and
    Moo

2. If possible, I'd say switch both kitties to canned. Just because dry food will cause other problems long-term. Here's a link to "what and why":
    http://www.catinfo.org/. By switching them both, you'll avoid any chance that your diabetic will get into the dry food. No matter what people do to make sure that won't happen, at some point it inevitably does.

Either FF classics or Friskees pates are good choices. I use both for my diabetic and for my civvie. For me, it comes down to portion size more than anything. My guys aren't big fans of leftovers from a can, so their meal plan is that they each get a can of FF for breakfast, another one for dinner, and then they split a can of Friskees for their midnight snack. No leftovers that way.

Carl

3. Moosmommy

Moosmommy Member

Thanks Carl. On the same lines... What do you recommend for a cheap carb friendly treat for after shots?

4. MaryB & Chester

MaryB & Chester Member

5. I used two kinds with Bob. One was PureBites freeze dried shrimp. The other was BeefEater, and they come in chicken breast, salmon, and they used to make shrimp but I think they may have discontinued those. I got both brands at Petsmart.

Another option, which is cheaper in the long run, is fresh meat. Bake a chicken breast with no seasoning, and cut it into treat sized pieces. With Bob, I used fresh shrimp. Bob is definitely a shrimp-a-hollic. If I stood on a shrimp, he would eat through my foot to get to it! I also live about 2 miles from a seafood company dock, so I could buy "today's catch" whenever I wanted to, relatively cheaply. I'd buy a pound of shrimp, break it down to 5-6 in a freezer bag, and then just defrost a bag, boil them, and Bob would have treats for two days worth of tests.

This list gives you lots of good options for treats that are okay for a diabetic kitty:
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9172

Carl

6. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Friskies is definitely cheaper than FF, but they have a limited variety for my cat (he can't eat beef and I only give seafood once a week), so he gets both. My favorite, but also the most expensive, is Nature's Variety, so he only gets that a couple of times a week.

Here's a food chart of some more options. Make sure you look for the % carbs to be less than 10%.

7. grapey

grapey Member

I buy the big cans of friskies. They have four or five flavors I think. The cans are 97 cents each at Walmart.

I'm in a similar situation as you with two cats. When I switched my diabetic cat over to wet only, I did the same for my "civvie" because it would have been super hard to separate their meals. The result? My fat cat lost weight! She is *much* healthier now. Totally makes me want to get on Atkins! :)

8. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

All 14 here eat Friskies Pate canned food...yep you read that right FOURTEEN...lol. And only two are diabetic.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

9. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Fancy Feast is a slightly better quality food, as most flavors have more muscle meat than byproducts, and Friskies is mostly byproducts. However, that's not a super huge deal. One thing to watch out for is that Friskies does contain small amount of rice, Fancy Feast does not, so the Fancy Feast is lower carb. The rice can be problematic with some diabetic cats (like mine) and raise BG even though the food is less than 10% carbs, but many diabetics can handle the small amount of rice just fine. To be on the safe side though, I usually recommend the grocery brand Pate style foods instead of Friskies (Special kitty from Walmart, Grreat Choice from Petsmart) because they are identical except for that they don't include any rice and are lower carb. They're usually cheaper, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.