? Cannot get Samson's PZI dose right

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SamsonsMom, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

Hi all, my 9-year-old cat was DX'd in May and started on ProZinc immediately. In that time, I've tried a number of different doses but have not been happy with his (lack of) response to the insulin. Can members take a look at his chart and let me know how I should adjust the dose? I've been somewhat lax with his at-home testing, but will ramp up over the next few days, so you can check back in for a more filled-out chart soon. THANK YOU!

2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

In general, you will want to get dosing questions in one of the insulin subforums. In this case for Prozinc/PZI. Samson looks to be a very handsome boy!

You are doing pretty good. Kudos on keeping the spreadsheet. If Samson ever gets low again like he did in July with 42, please treat it as a hypo - read up and prep for hypos. They can be killers, really.

You recent chart values are a bit oscillating. It might be better to continue the current dose and establish a few days of trending. Please always test before dosing. I establish a no-dose value of 200 for Leo. If he is under, then no dose. That reduces the chance of a hypo.

I adjust a little if his BG is moving around. If he is 190 at PMPS, then I test and feed for the next 2 hours. Then I give him a small booster if he is over 200 at PMPS +2. But I've been doing this for 2 years. And I'm real careful with dosing...actually more conservative than many here.

TempestsMum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.