Can't lift head

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Leslie & Alley, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leslie & Alley

Leslie & Alley Member

Alley isn't lifting her head and barely walking. She was at the vet today for a follow-up and her potassium is low. The med will be ready tomorrow but since I have had her home after the vet....she is barelly walking and not lifting her head up when she walking(in just a few hrs) and pretty much laying down w/her head on the floor. Will she be ok till tomorrow when I get the med? Very worried!!

2. CyrusMishi&Angela

CyrusMishi&Angela Member

Leslie,

I am sorry, I don't know your history - but have you tested Alley's BG levels recently. Did your vet say anything about DKA (diabetic keto-acidosis) or ketones?

You should consider taking Alley to the ER vet if she seems incapable of getting up and/or walking. It could be something completely unrelated to diabetes.

Sending healing vibes your way.

3. Leslie & Alley

Leslie & Alley Member

Her bg levels are good but she has a bladder infection, Yeast infection as well as crf and has low potassium. Thanks

4. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

I wish I could help! Hang in there though, help is on it's way!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Low potassium can be extremely dangerous. Likewise, an infection could cause complications with diabetes and potentially DKA. If you know that the vet ran a test for ketones and it was negative or you had a negative test at home then the likelihood of DKA is lessened. With the information you presented, though, I would get your cat to the ER vet. Better safe than sorry.

6. Cindy and Patches

Cindy and Patches Member

Low potassium is very dangerous. I wouldn't take the risk myself. I would go to an emergency vet. This sounds serious. Sending hugs and prayers...

7. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Low potassium (as stated above) is extremely dangerous. A neighbor of mine (I've been helping her with her diabetic kitty) lost her kitty last week when her potassium went dangerously low. She had other things going on but low potassium is absolutely nothing to fool with in either humans or animals.

I would get in touch with an ER vet if possible.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

8. Maureen & Sammy

Maureen & Sammy Member

Go to the emergency room.

9. Melissa&Paul-Kyle

Melissa&Paul-Kyle Well-Known Member

I hope you guys made it to ER and that kitty is okay.

I know I am late to respond, but FWIW the hed hanging, according to my vet, is a symptom of very low potassium.

My PK went through this as related to a P titis attack and it was days of IV drip w/potassium added, then finally the supplement Tumil K before his potassium came up.

We kept check on his electrolytes to make sure it came up.

Please update when you get a chance. (((hugs)))

10. Dale

Dale Member

It will take several days for the potassium to do its job. My Batley, 22-years old w/hyper-t,cancer,low potassium, high BP, experienced this same situation. I gave powdered potassium four times a day in food/ice cream. Took a minimum of 3 days to see good results. If vet says 2 times a day, that is too little right now. If using the Renal-K or Tumil-K powdered w/scoop give 1-1.5 scoops up to 4 times a day.

Once the head comes up and walking is better you can back down on the amt. of potassium given. For maintenance I gave 2 scoops a day. We had to do blood testing after a couple weeks to make sure the potassium level didn't get too high which has it's own problems (heart).

11. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Tucker gets potassium Tumil-K twice per day, but it did take a few days as Dale mentioned. Now he gets it regularly and has his electrolytes checked. First every few weeks, but now rechecks will be 6 months apart.

He gets his in a treat too, a special canned that he likes that I warm with a smidge of water, I don't give him this canned at any time except for potassium time so he really loves it and eats the entire thing.

12. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

hope she is ok....Please let us know . Sending healing vibes for her.

13. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

I hope she's okay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.