Captain Mauser a sick kitty introduction.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Captain Mauser, Apr 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Mauser

Captain Mauser New Member

Hello all! I'm a stressed out cat parent and my cat Mauser is 13 year old male, Siamese mix (@ 10.5 pounds. Before he was ill he was at a stable 17 pounds.)

The Mau history:

- First diagnosed with renal failure in 2016 which has been kept stable since on the "Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Renal Support E Canned. (He eats 2.5 cans a day @ 5.8-oz cans)

- Diagnosed Diabetic the summer of 2018 (July) Most likely acute pancreatitis being the cause.

- Almost fatal DKA & possible pancreatitis in the fall (November)
    - Fluids and IV for several days to get him stable at vet
    - I had to syringe feed my little guy and it broke my heart he was so limp.​

- November-Feb 2019, stabilized Maus and did several glucose curves, vet slowly upped him from 1 to 4.5 units of Lantus
    - urination is much less
    - water consumption is less
    - hunger is not random and closer to feeding times (YAY!!)
    - weight gain and weight staying on
    - his curves are high still 280-400​

- March

- bloating, bowel movements became loose, cowpat like (no food changes or insulin changes).
    - glucose levels aren't stabilizing
    - changed foods to "Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Glycobalance Morsels In Gravy Canned Cat Food", 3-oz x 3 cans a day
    - diarrhea after new food intro (slow intro)
    - Lantus 4.5 units cnt'd

- April to current,

- Bloated, diarrhea
    - Did Ultrasound, no cancer, light inflammation of intestinal lining which led vet to IBS+renal failure+diabetic.​
    - Diet change to dry food "Hill's Prescription Diet z/d Original Skin/Food Sensitivities Dry Cat Food"
    (red flags I know, but I wanted to do anything to get him feeling btr)
    - weight loss .5 pounds in over 3 weeks
    - some isolation
    - still a hungry landshark
    - water consumption increased
    - filling litter box with urine

Now he's back to looking rough, like pre pancreatitis or DKA, so after speaking with the vet today with his blood panel I am going to get him on fluids and IV's for a few days and hopefully get him feeling a bit better.

But the vet basically told me he may die in the next few days, it breaks my heart to hear this news.

I want him off this dry food and onto something that will at least make it so the poor guy isn't so sick...but changing his food AGAIN?! ugh Im at a loss. I dont want to put him on anouther script diet, I want him back on something canned and easier on his little body.

Please help, I want him to just be able to use his litter box without hurting..my poor little buddo. I have read the FF feast has a gluten free version??

Many thanks.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Reason for edit: dates
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. I am sorry Mauser has been so ill. Hopefully a couple of days on an IV will help him.
    Have you thought about a raw or home made diet for him? I would definitely try and get him off all prescription diet foods. That may help with the diarrhoea. Have you tried plain mashed pumpkin? That is good for diarrhoea. You can make your own, with nothing else added or buy plain canned pumpkin. A couple of teaspoons a day.
    Can you ask the vet for a copy of the blood panel and post it. We have someone here who can have a look at it for you.
    I think the best thing you could do is copy and paste your post over on the main forum page as this is just the intro page and there are a lot more people there.
    You might like to put in your heading ‘HELP sick cat need advice.’ Or something similar.
    Here is the link to the main page.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear things have been so hard for your little guy. Hoping we can help with getting him feeling better. There are a lot of people here with experience dealing with a lot of feline health issues, not only diabetes. I hope things get better.

Idjit's mom likes this.
  4. Captain Mauser

Thank you, Bron & Sheba!

I have cooked for him before but not on a larger scale. What do you recommend?? I was going to make his some ground turkey I read somewhere it is best to poach it? So that the fat is boiled off and cant upset his stomach further? Or push him into DKA.

Pumpkin sounds like such an excellent idea! I'll have to dig around and see if I can find some more information on here.

I will change the name of the thread in my next post <3 I was attempting humor in a moment of emotional freaking out...thank you for the links!

Thank you Julie & Honey <3 its comforting to hear. I appreciate the kindness.

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. If you are interested in a raw diet for Mauser, you might consider the FoodFurLife EZ Complete supplement. Idjit is on a raw diet with this supplement and doing very well. Idjit is not an IBS kitty, but I changed his diet to reduce phosphorus intake.
    Many times a raw diet is recommended for kitties with IBS and it can help. There are other members here who feed a raw diet with this supplement, and one that I know of feeds partially cooked meat with the supplement. There are others who use different supplements, or commercial raw products.
    FYI, not all cats recognize raw meat as food, or like it, plus some kitties might not do well with this particular supplement. The FFL supplement also uses egg shell instead of bone, which reduces the phosphorus content, and that could also be a plus for the renal issues. But check out the website, do some research for IBS diets and perhaps by eliminating the dry food, his bowel issues will calm down and his blood sugar levels will also lower. Win/win.

Best of luck getting Mauser feeling better, he's had a very rough time and we would all like to help both of you as much as possible.
    When you post on the Main Health forum and if I can help further, let me know :cat:

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I feed my cats a raw diet with no problems. You just need to make sure you include the necessary supplements to make it a complete diet. It can be cooked or raw or a combination. I agree with @Idjit's mom that it could well help the IBD

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

The raw diet will help with the IBD - if he will eat it. If he will not eat raw I would try the Rawz brand. There is no gums and it is diabetic friendly. The other thing is to try a novel protein - duck, rabbit, turkey, venision.

The other thing is did your vet decide to describe a steriod for the IBD? To help get the inflammation down? If so which one?

For some easy at home fixes - try a probiotic..Saccharomyces Boulardii - it helps with diarrhea. I used the Pure Encapsulations and put 1/2 capsule once a day into his food.

The other thing is Slippery Elm Bark - it is used to calm the intestines. You can either make a "pill" 1/2 tsp of pure aloe vera juice with 1/4 tsp of SEB mix together until you get a gooey type pill and then you can smush it on their upper mouth. Or you can do a a cup of water with a tsp of SEB. Simmer for several minutes then let cool - it becomes a loose jelly type consistency and you can mix that into his food. I used the pill form on Jones as eating all his food was not a given.

8. Captain Mauser

Reason for edit: added @'s
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.