? carb content of Whiskas 1+ poultry in jelly(UK) and food suggestions for fussy cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SweetAngel, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

hi everyone esp Eliz if you're around.

Angel is still doing well fingers crossed. Mr CFB is recovering well from his broken ankle so I shouldbeable to participate more here again.

Anyway....Angel has purina dm plus whatever low carb food I give the others. I sent my honey aka Mr Cat Food Brain, (see my posts in off topic) to get some Felix as good as it looks, as the 'kids' have started turning their noses up at Bozita and Smilla. He came back with the Whiskas instead. As far as I can see it should be fine. 8%protein, 4.7% fat, 1.8% inorganic matter, 0.3% crude fibers, 84% moisture. It does state 'various sugars'. So is it ok for Angel or should I feed it to Mr CFB?

They have gone off the better foods Bozita and Smilla, I really want to find a good quality low carb wet food they like, finances are a bit of a problem but I could mix with the Felix. They like Ziwi Peak air dried but it makes Angel throw up!

Also Romeow needs to lose weight, being as he's on low carb anyway not sure how to help him. Any food suggestions would be more than welcome xx

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

3. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hi Cassandra
    I've tried to wean my Sapphire off Whiskas for years, on and off, with not much luck. I really wanted her to eat Natures Menu but no go. Then bingo - I recently discovered Sainsburys Delicious pouches, which come in boxes of six, either chicken or ocean fish flavour, 50% meat/fish content. £3 per box so not too bad. Sapphire loved it from the very first bowl I gave her. She is also liking HiLife chicken in jelly - also 50% meat - I'm buying this in bulk online as supermarkets don't seem to stock it... Ocado has a special offer at the moment, box of 32 for £12 ish which is a bargain!

Good luck
    Diana

4. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

thanks both of you. The 7+ is on the list but not the 1+. I have enough Felix to last until hopefully Eliz replies. I'll try the 2 you suggested Diana, thanks again xxx

5. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Actually I think the two versions of Whiskas you mention are probably very similar in content as far as ingredients go... the senior just usually has a few extra vitamins or something. Various sugars are likely to be in all Whiskas varieties but I thought all Felix ones and a good many other mass-market brands too. One way to check it out is to go onto a supermarket website and search for the particular food - there is usually a comprehensive ingredients list including percentages.

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I saw numbers for a food and I had to calculate them :bookworm:. It's still just a guesstimate but I came up with 7.5% carb (dry matter) for the higher end range of that food :)
    If I put it in the Carb Calc I made in my signature, based on Dr. Lisa Pierson's formula, it comes up 6.25% carb (dry matter)

I also thought Fancy Feast was available in UK :bookworm:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.