carb free dry food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Seattlebrian, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seattlebrian

Seattlebrian Member

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I saw that web site awhile ago. While it's a good idea, it's still dry food which isn't good for a cat's health in general, as thoroughly explained why in Dr. Lisa's web site. A very low/no carb canned food option would be a better choice over the dry.

3. moof86

moof86 Member

Applaws dry cat food weighs in at less than 15% carbs but as far as I know only available in the UK/Europe. Dry food obviously isn't ideal, but if you've got a stubborn kitty, it's nice to see that pet food manufacturer's are working to get the unnecessary cereals out!

I'm going to look into the GA a bit further! Thanks for the link!

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Lets us know what information you can gleen. I tried to check out the link, but couldn't see the ingredients, or very much at all.

5. moof86

moof86 Member

I'm rather having the same problem! It seems more they just make the food for various companies/individuals, but don't really say who for exactly! Google searching has led me to this website http://www.youngagainpetfood.com/eshop/ ... &mcat=cats, which is offering a USA based, zero carb dry cat food. Both sites mention a sort of extrusion process of making the food, but no obvious connection between the two.

Anyone else heard of this Young Again food?

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Thanks!

7. eccentricfuzzyme

eccentricfuzzyme Member

Anyone know of a dry food like this sold in Ontario Canada?

8. moof86

moof86 Member

Haven't looked for Canada specifically, but looks like these guys will ship internationally, I just sent them off an email for further details, as I'm rather intrigued!

9. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Carbs aren't everything--cats also need moisture in their diet, or severe urinary tract and kidney problems can develop. No matter how much a cat drinks, it never drinks enough to compensate for the loss of moisture in its diet caused by the dry food.

10. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

This kind of reminds me of sugar-free foods. Worries me on what they are doing to it to get processed for there and if you want to feed carb-free, why not just feed raw?

11. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Copied and pasted from another dry food thread:

Everyone who insists on feeding dry food needs to stare at Opie's pictures on my Urinary Tract Health page to see the suffering that feeding a water-depleted diet to cats *often* causes.

Veterinarians deal with blocked cats *very* frequently but on the flip side, vets who push canned food hard in their practices rarely have to deal with these suffering animals.

Feeding cats is far more than just about carbs - we need to pay more attention to their urinary tract health *before* they end up in a life threatening...and incredibly painful.... situation like Opie had to endure.

Note that Opie's vet bill was $4,350.

And...if I had a dime for every time someone said "but my cat drinks a lot of water so I know his urinary tract will ge fine"....I would be rich. Unfortunately, these people are missing the point of dealing with a species with a low thirst drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.