Carb question....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gwen and Morris, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Now, this may sound like a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I understand this correctly! LOL!

When reading Janet's lists & looking at the carb content of the various canned foods....since the carb number is in percent form, it shouldn't matter what size the can is.....correct? For example, I usually feed Friskies which comes in a 5.5oz can, but I am looking at adding some Fancy Feast into Morris' diet & that comes in a 3oz can. But, even though they are different size cans, if they both said they had 2% carbs on Janets list (for example), then both cans would have the same amount of carbs (I wouldn't need to double the Fancy Feast carbs since it is half the size of a can of Friskies).

Am I on the right track?

2. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I believe that is right.

3. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

I agree.
    Percentage is percentage, I'd say.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A % is a %. However, the one thing you have to look out for is cal/oz. There is a significant difference in that for a few of the canned foods. Therefore, if you feed the same amount of a high cal/oz food than of a lower cal/oz food and both have the same % carbs the higher cal/oz food fed will contain more carbs. The body needs/uses total amounts not %s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.