Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vonniebgood

vonniebgood New Member

Hi. I am confused about whether I should use carbohydrate percentages or ingredients when choosing food for my diabetic cat. Some sites say avoid wheat gluten, etc. But I've gotten some nutition info on cat foods that show that a food that contains wheat gluten has a low carb %. Which is more important? And, am I correct in understanding that I should look to feed my cat wet foods with a 10% or lower carb percentage?

Thanks,
    Vonnie

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

absolutly vonnie, you should consider carbs first for your diabetic cat. 10 carbs or less, i like 8 carbs or less. did you see Janet $ Binky's food chart?
    yes avoid gluton, grains etc. you might consider feeding raw, nature's variety. but one thing we advise against is dry kibble. there simply is no dry kibble that is low enough for your diabetic cat.
    lori
    and tomtom

3. vonniebgood

vonniebgood New Member

Thanks, Lori.

4. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

As far as I know, wheat gluten is actually a vegetable protein (wheat has carbs, but wheat gluten doesn't). Nevertheless, a lot of cats are allergic to it or otherwise have trouble digesting it, which is a large part of the reason to say to avoid it.

I am not a nutritionist but am only conveying what I have read (and experienced - one of my cats has a baaaddd time with any wheat gluten).

5. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Yes, wheat gluten is a protein--it is also known as seitan.

If your cat doesn't have a problem with it, there's no real need to avoid it.

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Yes, as Deanie says, wheat gluten is a PROTEIN and as such shouldn't affect blood glucose levels.

Another clarification is that the values in Janet and Binky (GA)'s charts are for the % of calories from protein/fat/carbs etc. So when someone refers to "10", what they are referring to is not 10 carbs but 10% of the calories are from carbs. This is important.

Finally, there is more than one reason why we suggest no dry...first is that dry food by nature tends to be high in carbohydrates, but also that it is dehydrating and can cause kidney damage and also urinary issues.

good reads on nutrition include Dr Lisa Pierson's site www.catinfo.org and also Max's House (don't have the link handy)

Jen

7. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

10/04/10 Callie's AMPS 238 +2 269 +8 165
    yesterday viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26539

Hi .. I would like to know if there is a way to at least estimate % carbs from only the label information. I have tried to comapre labels of known % carb food with other brands, but labels show different placements of the ingredients and I know that it's the order of the listing that shows how much of an item % wise is in the can. Meats should always be the 1st ingredient and down at the end should be things like glutens .. right? If anyone knows how to evaluate foods, please let me know. I can't seem to find known low carb foods at my local grocery store. I have to go to Walmart. In a pinch I wold like to be able to at least guesstimate from a label :) There is no contact info on a few brands and going to the distributors site was not helpful. The actual food maker isn't even listed!Libby and Callie (and civvies: brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... TuVA#gid=0
    Callie 10 yrs old on 9/17/10 dx 6/12/10
    Lantus 2 units BID (U100) since 9/30/10
    HT BG with ReliOn
    Wet food only since 9/30/10
    Camp Hill, PA USA

8. Jen & Squeak

There is a very general way but the problem is that the labels are guaranteed max/mins and not the as fed values that you find in Janet's charts.

You want to avoid flour, cornstarch, rice, soy, corn, etc. You want 'chicken' more than 'chicken bi-products', and you don't want to feed an all fish diet.

There are a few grocery store brands with approximately the same ingredients as the fancy feast that you find on Janet's charts.

Jen

9. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

There is this online calculator you can use: http://www.scheyderweb.com/cats/catfood.html It won't be 100% accurate but will give you a general idea of the values.

10. MrRipley & Rick

MrRipley & Rick New Member

EVO

I have found what should be an acceptable dry food. Natura - EVO. Mr Ripley loves it, as a treat or supplement to his normal wet low carb food. We must be doing something right, as two years ago his Fructosimine (sp) level was 440. With nothing but a diet change, his bg readings on my test strips are around 100 or slightly lower. He has never taken insulin. We feel very, very lucky.

11. Jen & Squeak

EVO is a good option BUT...some cats do experience elevated BGs with it. So every cat is different...

12. Lori in Ohio

Lori in Ohio Member

I use the EVO Dry Chicken and Turkey- grain free low carb, but am slowly introducing my cat to canned Special Kitty Chicken and Tuna

The EVO dry has 7% carbs and has very good nutrients, where as the Special Kitty is lower in carbs and is a wet food, which everyone here believes is much better, so that is why I am trying to switch.
    I am not thrilled the Special Kitty has by-products in it tho and will switch to a better canned later on.

I have been feeding my cat the wet first (about a tablespoon) sometimes she will eat it all, sometimes not.
    Then I give her the EVO Dry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.