Carly needs pain free, eating vibes pls! UPDATE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and Merlyn (GA), May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

We ended up in the ER Sunday. Saturday after work I thought she was better because she was on the cat tree, but in the morning she was still in the same position and hadnt moved. She asked to come down and I put her on the floor and her back legs were collapsing under her, and she was swaying from side to side when she did stay up. So we went to the ER mainly to rule other stuff out.

Her spine is also arthritis, the way her reg Doc phrased it made me think it was an abnormality of some kind or trauma. the xrays must have made her much worse.. she wont get up to eat or drink, I am syringing. She climbed out of her round bed briefly this morning and went back in. Last night she peed in her box but got her back end wet because she couldnt squat. I am sure she has poo in there that wont come out (not much, since shes not eating). I told her to mess her bed and I would clean it up.

Its complicated by the fact that she clears sedation very slowly, and doesnt eat..this happened after her dental and also after her xrays Weds. So I wasnt too worried. Was syringing food around the drool caused by the Tramadol.. she was drooling even just approaching her, anticipatory drool :( The tramadol taste messed us up big time, and the ER doc gave us bupe, but shes still not eating and doesnt want to move even with pain meds. So we are stopping all pain meds to see if thats contributing to the not eating. I went to reg vet to get fluids and cypro-hopefully if theres poo in there the fluids will help it come out. Still giving Miralax in the morning.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Re: Carly needs pain free, eating vibes pls!

Sending many prayers for Carly that she starts feeling better and her pain eases up. Poor baby/

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Awwwww poor baby. Of course sending prayers.
    j.

4. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending lots of prayers.... It's so hard when they can't tell is what's wrong.

5. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Lisa, and, of course, you too precious Carly,

I'm so sorry to hear your good girl is ailing. Sometimes sighs are hard to put into words...

Opie's dear Jeri taught me to coat Giz's occasional yucky pills in butter. Helped for such a quick slide, I'm not sure Giz had time to taste anything but butter. So I dubbed Jeri, The Butter Goddess... Do you think that might be a possibility, sweetie? You know, followed by a liquid chaser and then maybe something stinky? I'm thinking Trader Joe's tuna, since you told us all that is probably the stinkiest cat food on the planet...

I happen to know you're a good hugger, dearest Lisa. Can you feel my hugs coming right back at you along with my hopeful, healing, hungry hugs, thoughts, and prayers for Carly? You have them.

Much love and even more countless hopeful, healing hugs for you both,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever dancing with Merlyn...

6. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

thanks everyone..

She went to the vet yesterday and got an cardiac/abdominal us to rule out heart conditions (since we are giving fluids) and check for any masses anywhere that might be impinging on the spine. Everything looks good in terms of it being anything else.. so right now its arthritis, worse in her lumbosacral region that may have been caused by old injury there. The back issue seems to be making her right hind leg worse so she is wobbly. Shes been hanging out in the closet to monitor eating and pee/poo but she came out this morning and is on the pillow on the bed. I just gave her her first adequan shot.

She also got an assist feed at the vet and i am supposed to do 25-50mls 2x a day if she doesnt eat on her own. I am going to the pet supply today to get some variety.

I had my AC friend talk to her and Carly said she "got Wonked in the back" right at the arthritis spot when she was young.. Carly claims she is hungry but is being careful not to eat anything to upset her tummy so I said she has to eat. Shes says she feels a disconnect in her right hip (vet says hips ok arthritis wise) and thats why her right leg isnt moving well so I am gently stroking it.

She seems much more alert today and was pretty good yesterday. She cant handle sedation/opiates well at all. The sedation they used for the dental last year and for the xrays this year was torb+midazolam(versed). They thought they might have to sedate for the u/s and were going to try valium instead of the midazolam but they didnt need to thank goodness. She was squirmy but settled and was just very vocal and opinionated.

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Well at least you are getting answers and ruling out other things. So this is progress. I hope the adequan helps her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.