Cashy in remission for almost 2 years with Young Again food.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cashy, Dec 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cashy

cashy Member

Hello fellow cat owners with diabetic cats,
    Cashy developed insulin dependent diabetes in October of 2016. He was on up to 12 units of vetsuiln with very poor control. Through this forum I learned about Young Again Zero Mature cat food. He had developed neuropathy of his hind quarters. His weight had dropped. The insulin was not handling his blood sugar or giving him any quality of life with several needle sticks a day.

About March or April of 2017 I started him on the YAZM food and weaned him off of insulin. We have done only spot checks of his blood sugar in the last year. Did one a few days ago and that prompted me to write this note.

He had a very normal 47 on the Relion glucometer The same range as two of my normal cats.

He runs outside and seems very happy. He eats 3, 25 pound bags of food a year with other pets (dogs and cats) helping him to eat it.

My wife and I debate his age as we got him as an adult. He was a neighborhood cat that lived with various families in a nearby town. One person asked if we would take him in because of a busy road nearby.

We think he is at least 17 or 18 years old. He has lived a good life and gets along with our other 4 cats. None of our other cats get along with more than one or two individuals

After discussing how he is doing with our local vet he is mentioning it to other cat owners who have diabetic cats. We discussed at how a high protein diet might be bad but so is running a high blood sugar. We felt it was a fair trade for this cat.

Well just rambling and won't take up any more space in the forum. Returning to lurking mode.
    Merry Christmas to all.

2. injuredrabbit

injuredrabbit Member

This is very encouraging news, as there are so many posts on this site trash talking YAZC. I don't disagree that a canned food diet is best for these kitties, but I have spent SO MUCH MONEY on food that my Rufus will nibble on when I first open the can and then not touch again, or refuse to eat at all. And I know it's a trial and error process but geez, I'm not made of money, I don't have infinite time and resources to keep this guessing game up for however many months it might take to make the transition.
    Of course the info sheets that came with my sample talked about cats who have spontaneously gone into remission after starting this diet, but as they are trying to market their product, they are obviously only going to send best case scenarios.
    I do have the FortiFlora on hand (in attempting to entice him to eat the canned), so I will use that to hopefully help ward off digestive distress. And I'm not giving up on the wet but my boy has lost half a pound in the past four weeks and he can't afford to lose more weight, so anything I can get him to eat is better than nothing.
    Thanks again for the positive report!

3. cashy

cashy Member

I learned about here on this forum. My cat was not able to have his blood sugar controlled with insulin. Despite our best efforts.

Started with a small bag and found that his blood sugar was remarkable on some days After I was seeing some positive results I mentioned it to the veterinarian. He was skeptical. After some months he too saw what was happening. And he asks, what was the name of that food? He had a blind owner that loved her cat but could not offer the cat insulin. He ordered her some food and had positive results. I have an online acquaintance who is a retired primary care physician. He tries it on his cat and it helped. I am sure that you will find some on here that it didn't work for. I found out about from another owner here. If my cat decides to go out of remission I will still consider it a success. It has given him two more years of healthy life. If another one of our 5 cats starts becoming diabetic I will go right to young again food.

Our veterinarian is a solo practitioner in a rural area. He cares for animals great and small. I think he must charge by the pound :) as our vet bills have not been that large.

Cash is truly a curious animal. If he sees us outside he will come over to investigate. We have been in the back pasture maybe 100 yards from the house. He figures out that we are there and he has to trot out to investigate. We try and keep our dogs outside when he goes out They will not let varmints onto their farm. Better for all concerned.

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Every cat is different, every owner is different and every situation is different, we all have to do what works for us and our pets. I'm so happy you and Cash are happy and in the end that's all that counts.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yaz worked awesome for my cat the first year she was diagnosed. I feel it's what pushed her into remission. Unfortunately after a year if she ate more than a small amount she started getting the runs. I wish she could still eat it! We have a bag and give her a few as a treat now and then.

6. cashy

cashy Member

Yes that you so much Janet NJ for saving Cash's life.

You have great Karma in our book.

I am sure you have tried other foods in the young again group. If not, email me.

This food is the go to food for all 3 of our dogs and 5 of our cats. We do our best to not let the others have it, mainly based on cost.
    My wife is always looking for treats for Cash. I am happy to just let him eat what works.

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Sara and Mr. Kitty Member

That’s great! I just ordered the same food the other day for my non diabetic kitty who hates wet food.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Pure Bites is the go to treat for CC. I'm so glad to know Cash is still doing so well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.