Cass and Tribby

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CassWTribby, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

Hi there,

My 15 year old(ish, she's a rescue) was just diagnosed with diabetes.
    Let the glucose monitoring begin!
    I was able to give her the insulin injection this am but after 5 pricks was not able to get a BG test. I read all the tips on this site and will try again tonight.
    She is currently getting BGT and insulin two times a day. Her blood work showed high glucose 21, and also a bladder infection. She was being treated for a chronic diarrhea issue when her blood work indicated diabetes.

I have a Contour Next meter provided to me by my pharmacist free of charge.

My question is: does anyone prefer just using the lancet or the pricking device that came in the kit. Mine is adjustable so I am going to try using it tonight. I just tried the lancet this am as was show to me by the vet.

I fortunately do have experience giving injections and taking blood sample but only with horses so I am a bit nervous about being able to complete this as painlessly as possible for my 5 lb kitty!
    I look forward to learning more!

Thanks in advance- Cassie

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    - What insulin? Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    - It is good that you are home testing, at least trying.Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    - I would start with the lancet pen set on its deepest setting. Some use the lancet freehand without the lancet pen.
    Make sure the ear is warm and the ear where you pierce is backed up. I use a cotton cosmetic pad.
    - What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

I you have specific questions please post in the Health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/?order=post_date

CassWTribby likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Cassie and Tribby! You've come to the right place. Please repost your message on the main health forum so its seen by more people. :)

CassWTribby likes this.
  4. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

5. CassWTribby

CassWTribby Member

She is on Caninsulin 1 unit 2 x daily. She is on WD canned food and ID pellets as we have been dealing with her diarrhea for a few weeks now. My vet recommended these foods until her blood glucose is regulated.
    I forget to mention we are in Ontario, Canada so the products available may be different.

I tried the lancet on deepest level on myself and it was quite deep. I thought with her ear so thin a lower setting would be better?
    Thanks for the quick reply!

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

For most of my cats I have to use the deepest setting to get enough blood. In the summer when it is warmer I can reduce the depth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.