Cat dragging behind on carpet

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PeterDevonMocha, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I am posting this for my cousin. She has a cat, who went into get fixed/declawed a few weeks ago. At the time the vet saw one flea on her, and gave my cousin medication for her. Ashy is a strictly indoor cat so my cousin was surprised they found a flea. Anyways, she got her medication and then they told her fleas can case worms in cats so to watch out for them in the litterbox. Well she never saw any worms but did find another flea or two on her, so she tried to give her more flea medication.

Anyways, the cat has been dragging her butt across the carpet for the last week or so. So she called the vet, and the vet said it probably isn't worms, but glands that aren't secreting like they should be when she goes to the bathroom. I thought I read on here that can be a serious problem, and they can even rupture? Didn't someone mention they take their cat in for them to be "secreted" by the vet? Could someone give me any information on this, thank you.

2. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

She could take her cat into the vet and they can tell if the anal glands need to be expressed. Happened to my civie, Phoebe, and yes, she would scoot her bottom across the floor after leaving the litter box . Does your cousin know what worms look like? They will look like tiny grains of rice. I hope her kitty will be okay and it is an easy fix.
    And fleas can come in on us humans when we walk through our yards...so that may be how kitty got them.

3. PeterDevonMocha

I told her she should take her cat to the vet, that this could become something serious. Yes, I told her what worms would look like and she said she never saw anything in the litterbox or around the cats behind. I also told her indoor cats can get fleas and that after the medication was given she should really try to disinfect what she can around the house, in case there are eggs.

4. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Your cousin's cat could not only have a tape worm (the kind of thing where you look for the rice colored little segments on their rear end or near that area), but she sould also have round worms, which would be the main kind of worms you would see in a litter box. They look like spaghetti. Usually they get them from getting a hold of a mouse, or being in a box where other cats have been that have them.

The biggest and best way I got rid of fleas many years ago, was to VACUUM, VACUUM, VACUUM. Each and every day. PLUS, combing the cat with a LICE comb, not a flea comb. A lice comb is much finer, and when you find a flea, you stick it right into a large jar of vaseline, or petroleum jelly, where it will suffocate.

At one point in time, I had 9 cats with fleas after our dog died, who had a lot of fleas from going in and out. I could sometimes comb 50 fleas or more from my cats and the fastest way to trap them was the vaseline jar idea I came up with. It got to be a routine each day. I would take one cat at a time, and lie on the bed and comb them and catch the fleas. Then, like I said above, I vacuumed each and every day, and threw the bags away immediately in the outside trash in a closed bag.

Anal glands should be checked also. That could be the whole problem too.

Good luck to your cousin!
    Jean and Charcoal (GA)

5. PeterDevonMocha

oh wow jean! That must have been maddening with all those fleas! I know when we brought home cheddar (GA) he stayed locked up in our bathroom for the weekend until we could take him to the vet. The vet said, ooh he has fleas, just a few, but has them anyways. She gave him medication that killed them on the spot and when I got home with him, I called peter at work, he came home, sat in the bathroom with cheddar looking at every single spot on his body while I disinfected my entire house!

She said she is taking her cat to the vet on wednesday where they will "express" her glands if needed.

6. loisandmerlin

loisandmerlin Member

remember about fleas - the eggs hatch about every 3 wks, so you have to keep up on that until they are gone. ;-)

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

There are three stages of the immature flea:
    1. Egg that take two days to several weeks to hatch
    2. Larva that lasts five to 18 days, and
    3. Pupa that last three to five days. The adult fleas lays eggs continuously so once the adults are killed, new adult fleas will still continuously emerge for weeks.

8. PeterDevonMocha

thanks you guys. She took her cat to the vet today, and they said that her anal glands were somewhat swollen, which would cause her to rub her behind on the carpet. They said they did not see any fleas on her, which is good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.