cat experiencing diarrhea

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jodi & Jasmine, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

My cat has been experiencing diarrhea (and very stinky bowel movements) Prior to December 2009, Jasmine was being fed a mixed diet of high fibre dry plus canned. After much research, I learned that canned food was the best choice for diabetic cats so I switched her diet to all can food mid - December (Medi Cal preventive formula) I started noticing a change in her bowels in February (bad odor) She had the occasional diarrhea but only once or twice and it cleared up. The first of March I was advised to feed Jasmine DM formula so I switched her diet to Purina DM formula all canned. On March 21st, I purchased the same food Purina DM but it had a new label and "new formula" on the label. 2 days after giving her the "new formula" Purina DM she started getting diarrhea. It lasted less than a day and then she would have a regular bowel movement but it was quite loose/soft and then the next day back to diahhrea again. She will have diahhrea every few hours and then nothing at all and then another soft bowel movement and then back to diahhrea. It smells terrible. I talked to the vet and he advised she may need pro-biotic so she is having a bit of yogurt. I am concerned that something more could be going on here. Her appetite is a normal diabetic cat appetite. I am wondering if possibly her diet could cause this or is it something diabetic cats can experience? Does anybody have any info or advice they could offer?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Not infrequently cats experience diarrhea with a diet change. I usually takes a couple days for the cats digestive system (bacteria) to adjust to the change. However, it appears that Jasmine has been experiencing it both before and after the food change. There may be an allergen in the DM that is causing the problem. I would try the pro-biotic as recommended by your vet. It that does not help I would change diet to another lob-car canned but look at the ingredients. If still problems try another food with different ingredients. Possible allergens are beef, gluten corn and fish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.