cat food carb calculator

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sean & Rufus, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Hi all-

I've been using this calculator but it doesn't seem to correspond with the numbers that the catinfo list gives.

For example Royal Canin selective protein rabbit wet shows 15% carbs, but when I use the calculator it comes in at 8. So how do I get correct numbers for a food not listed on the catinfo site?

2. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

sometimes formulas get changed, so carbs may be different now on some foods. think the 8% is right as far as using the guaranteed analysis numbers goes and i checked http://catfooddb.com/ and it also says 8% 'wet' carbs on there too which was updated on feb 2018, the catinfo list was updated in 2017.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  3. Sean & Rufus

Hmm. I'm going to call royal canin tomorrow and see what they say. I bought Rufus some new food and it's not on the list. Came out to 6.5% on calculator but his bg went up +2 after eating it. Just was wondering if that calculator was correct.

4. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

check on the catfooddb site or the 'dry' matter carb % on calculator, it may be why it went up.

we use wet carbs but, the dry carbs are more accurate. my tux's numbers go up with some low carb wet foods too, with a recent new food we bought (dave's pate) that is 3.6% wet carbs, his numbers shot up almost 40 points, i checked calculator and turned out the pate was 16% dry carbs per like 3oz.

5. Sean & Rufus

That's confusing! You'd think we'd be looking at the wet carbs, not the dry. Ill have to look into it more tomorrow. Thanks for the input :)

6. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

You know, I was thinking I was crazy because if I give Bella dr elseys clean protein dry his numbers don’t go up but when he eats the wet it does and I was wondering why

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

When you call or email them be sure to ask for the "as fed" values.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I've not used the Schneyder Cat Food Calculator myself, but I ran across these instructions in some notes that I had taken awhile back. Evidently, one has to do the math themselves on the 2nd step.
    • plug in the required numbers from the label
    • take the resulting calories from carbohydrate and divide them by the total calories to get an estimate of percent of calories from carbohydrate
    Can't remember if I read the info from one of Elizabeth and Bertie's or BJM's posts...

Edited to add:
    How to Calculate the Nutrient Content of Commercial Cat Foods
    • Dr. Lisa's Cat Food Data Base Calculator - Type in the percentages of minimum protein, maximum fat, maximum carbs, and maximum phosphorus you're looking for. You also have the option to choose a specific cat food company. This tool will automatically list the cat foods from the Food Chart created by Lisa Pierson DVM list that meet your specifications.

Sean & Rufus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.