Cat food - diabetic and kidney disease

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jenni, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenni

Jenni Member

Hello,

It's been awhile since I've posted. My boy, Smudges recently turned 17!!!! Still managing the diabetes--currently at 1.25 units 2x/day. He just had an annual exam with bloodwork. His BUN, Creatnine and SDMA are starting to go outside the normal range and the vet says these are signs of early kidney disease. It would seem there are no food options that would be good for both kidney disease AND diabetes. Wondering if anyone has some recommendations.

Smudges was on a combo of Evo Turkey & Chicken dry and Wellness Chicken & Herring wet. Since Evo is no longer available, I recently switched him to Blue Wilderness dry for mature cats and continue to get as much of the Wellness wet food into him as possible--a constant struggle since he loves his kibble!

Anyway, with this new diagnosis of kidney disease I am at a loss about what to feed him and the vet didn't have any useful suggestions other than switching to a prescription diet for diabetes.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Jenni

2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Hi ,Jenni :) My kitty Elmo is in remission and has aging kidneys so I feed low carb low phos . His current favorites are Whole Earth Duck pate , Holistic Select Turkey and Holistic Select Chicken . The WE Duck is just 4 carbs and 130 phos , the Holistic Select is 2 carbs and bit higher phos . You can also check Dr Lisa’s list for other possibilities . Hope this helps :)

3. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Some vets say there is no good food for both situations. This may be because of out dated guidance that for FD you need high protein, but for CKD you need low protein. This is no longer current. For CKD you should still feed high protein - actually the highest quality you can, but as Beth mentions, it should be low phos.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

This version is sortable. Ideally you'd like carbs under 10% and Phos under 200mg.
    Food Chart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.