Cat Food For Diabetic Kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jasonhart, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonhart

jasonhart New Member

Hi everyone,

QUESTION - ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR HIGH PROTEIN HEALTHY QUALITY CAT FOOD - THAT HAS CHUNKS?????????? -

My beautiful 9 year old Bengal cat was just diagnosed with Diabetes. The vet advised we should change his food to high protein. We bought Evo 95% canned wet food. In 2 weeks his blood sugar went significantly down.

PROBLEM - He isn't eating a ton and the wet food drys out (he likes to graze - a little bit at a time). We need suggestions. only other one that is quality & high protein is Wellness. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? ANY CHUNKS?????

Thank you all!!! - Jason

2. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I honestly do not know of any canned wet lo-carb food that has chunks in it. You could try a raw diet - those have chunky bits to them. OR make frozen pucks for him to eat on later.

To make pucks: You mix some water, (about 1/5 of the can), into the food, mix well, then spoon it into an ice cube tray, or something similar - after they freeze solid, you empty them into a freezer safe container for future use. In the morning, Or evening), you put out a puck and cover it with the fresh canned food for breakfast/dinner. The kitty eats the fresh food for the main meal, then the "puck" later after it is thawed out.

The extra water keeps the puck moist until it all gets eaten.

~M

3. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

This is a challenge.. my girls are the same way.. they like chunks & they graze.. even when I freeze them... they still ignore.. they want the "fresh crack of the can" ... on top of that I prefer only premium products too. We are now eating Wellness... which a few weeks ago, I thought they would never go for.. because of the pate style...Baby also eats Raw Rabbit..but I cant leave that out all day..so she gets a plate full when I am home.
    This is not a premium product.. but Petsmart makes Sophisticat Adult Sumpreme Chicken Hearts & Liver.. both of mine loved that.. it is chunky in sauce & on the "safe list"...

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Seafood in jelly are chunks but you don't want to feed seafood based foods too often. ProPlan Sardines and Tuna and Weruva Mack and Jack are two.

Weruva has a few other varieties that are non-pate style: Paw Lickin Chicken, Outback Grill, Nine Liver, and Peking Ducken. These seem to be ok for diabetics.

5. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

Just mixing water with the pate style foods, to the consistency of a milkshake, will help keep it from drying out, plus add water to diet, which is always a plus.

6. rebeccalou

rebeccalou New Member

Our Miles has gone off the juice in the last few weeks by eating canned Instinct by Nature's Variety- he gets the venison flavor, which is pricey so we might try other varieties. It's all meat, with a couple peas and carrots mixed in, grain free.

We switched from a dry food b/c of tummy troubles, (I'd been pondering a switch to low-carb to help with his diabetes, but he'd been so well regulated that I was scared to mess with success). Not only did the new food fix his stomach distress, but we're on an insulin honeymoon as well. I'm a happy cat mom! He's a picky eater but he LOVES the stuff, and so does our other (non-diabetic) boy.

7. berryflower

berryflower New Member

Check out Merrick's Surf & Turf and Cowboy Cookout, they are both chunky and very lowin carbohydrates. My cat LOVES it, and he likes chunks too. Be careful with the Turducken, it has more carbos. Check out the Binky's food chart...it's very helpful!

8. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.