cat fountain recommendations?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by laur+danny+horde, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

My emaciated stray/foster, Venture, is hyper-T with CRF so he can't concentrate his urine well. I want to encourage him to drink more water. Can anyone recommend a pet water fountain they have used?

The most important criteria for me is that it's easy and quick to clean. He tends to get filth in his water bowl and it has to be changed several times a day. Dishwasher safe would be great for weekly sanitization, on top of daily cleaning. Next in importance would be non-leakage. Third, I would like to avoid plastic.

I've had a Drinkwell before, but it was a real pain to clean even with the special cleaning kit. I'm thinking about this or this. But each has had some negative reviews which concern me. I looked at the Drinkwell Platinum since I would prefer a waterfall deign, but the spillage and cleaning issues make it unappealing.

thanks,
    laur

2. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

The stainless steel raindrop one looks interesting. I'd be very interested in how it works for you if you get that one.

I have both the original Drinkwell, and the Platinum. You're right, the original is a pain to clean. The Platinum is easier, although there are still some nooks. I don't even put it in the dishwasher anymore - it takes me 20 mins +/- to clean it now that I've done it long enough, vs 45 mins in the dishwasher.

Have you looked at the Drinkwell 360? It looks easier, less nooks, but it's hard to tell just from pictures I guess. I haven't seen one at the store yet.

I haven't had any spillage issues with the Platinum. Is that issue with the reservoir, or the entire fountain? I don't fill in the reservoir, because I wash it weekly, and what's in the main fountain is more than enough to last the week for us.

3. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

I really hadn't looked at the 360 so thanks for the suggestion. They even have a stainless steel version. It appearts to be easy to clean with no tight corners, but requires frequent cleaning. Not an issue for me since I would do that anyway. There is even a reusable filter for it. Now the trick will be finding someone that has the stainless 360 in stock.

laur

4. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

laur, I'm sure you are already making food soupy. But have you tried any flavored drinks? like catsip or dilute some tuna juice to make a cocktail? I found those helpful in getting some extra liquid in.

I have the orig. drinkwell and it scared one of my cats so that was the end of that ! Only had to clean it once. lol. ( well ok I cleaned it before use too) I hope the stainless design works for you .

5. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

I have made chicken broth and tuna water for Venture, but I hadn't thought about the catsip. That's a great idea -- I'll pick some up at the store today. The Venturoo can definitely use any calories that he can get. Unfortunately he's a pretty fussy eater, even on cyproheptadine.

thanks,
    laur

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have a Drinkwell Platnium, a Petmate and a Cat-It (water flows over dome). The Drinkwell is easiest to clean. I to would get the SS Drinkwell 360 if I could find one.

8. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

We have three Drinkwell fountains...two are Platinum. There ARE a pain to clean but, luckily, that's DH's job!

The thing I like about the Drinkwell compared to the other models you have linked is that the Drinkwell spout of water is louder (yes, I actually see that as a positive!) It seems to attract my cats and they often, Chester in particular, love to put their tongue in the stream of running water. It's quite comical to watch a cat sitting with his tongue stuck straight out in a stream of water. I don't see that happening with the other two models.

9. pepperthecat1969

pepperthecat1969 Member

Drinkwell 360 I have. I love it. My 6 cats increased water consumption greatly due to this. Cleaning isn't too bad. You just want to make sure the filters are switched out regularly. There are 4-6 different flow choices which is great with multi-cat household.

PURCHASED at: www.drsfostersmith.com

I did purchase a smaller fountain- less expensive -this is on sale I believe.. I like it for the single cat room I have however the 360 is the best fountain I've even owned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.