Cat hardly eating

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kristie alcorn, Jul 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

We took Gracie in about 6 weeks ago for wanting to eat all the time. After blood work she is border line hyperthyroid so they put her on 1 pill a day of Felimazole. Took her back yesterday for blood draw & she is down to 3. Well as of yesterday morning she is not hardly eating. She will nibble when I first put it down then it will sit all day & she might nibble a little more but never finish.

2. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

Also since she is not really eating she is not getting the thyroid medicine because I crush it in her food. And now the insulin I’m sure I will need to reduce.

3. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Do you think maybe she detects the medicine in the food? Sometimes they develop a food aversion if they sense something is "off". Have you tried giving her food with no medicine? Baby food (stage 2 meat only gerbers) is usually something they will eat when they don't feel good. I use a appetite stimulate with my Rico.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you put the tablet straight into her mouth?
    If she is starting to eat and then stopping she may be nauseated, and you may need some antinausea medications like cerenia and ondansetron.
    Have you checked her teeth to see if she has a problem with her teeth which is stopping her wanting to eat?

5. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

No I have not tried taking the medicine away. She has started to eat a little more since Monday. But I may go ahead and try the baby food & see if it will help.

6. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

No I have not tried just putting it in her mouth. I have tried that before & she fights you holding her to put something in her mouth. She has started to eat a little more since Monday so I don’t know if she just felt bad. She has never not wanted to eat. She loves food. Lol

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

If you sit Gracie on your lap on her bottom and hold her by the scruff of the neck with one hand, then open her mouth with the index finger of the other hand and when her mouth opens pop the pill down the back of her mouth.
    Glad to hear she is eating more.

8. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I found a way for my niece to get meds down when I was gone a few days. Chewy had these treats called inaba and it masked the taste.
    My boys like the salmon best but they have many flavors and no sugar spikes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.