Cat has not eaten in 4 days please help--Update GA

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by susieqbutte, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. susieqbutte

susieqbutte New Member

have a 10 yr old male cat who has been just diganoised this last month with diabetis. We started him on nph and it did not work after 3 weeks. So we started him on Lantus 10 days agao. Last sunday nite he started to throw up and I took him to the vets. He spent 3 days there on IV and regular insulin to get him regulated. he also had a fever so was on an antibotic. The dr said he thought he had pancartis and gave him steroids. I just brought him home a few hrs ago and of course he is very weak. The problem I am having is he has not eatedn in 4 days! I have to get him to eat! I have tried everything he likes and warmed it up and etc etc. but he wants none of it. I have been giving him chicken meat baby food a couple of cc every hr to hope to kick start him. I am in tears here because I really think I am gonna lose him!!! i am willing to do anything!! The bill at the vets today was 645.00 Please help me!! i don't want to see him in pain, nor have to put him down!!! Someone please! Susie

Yes he came home and immediatly went to the caT box. He looked as if he was pg with 10 kittes he was so swolled from all the fluids they gave him. And he has been drinking a lot of water, but has slowed down in the last hr. So i am sure his bg's are lower now. i just think he has been tramatized from 3 days at the vets and in a cage. And befinning sick and not eating has turned into not eating for 4 days. Do u think giving him the baby food in the syringe will get him to want to eat again or has he just given up? Thats where I am lost. The vet has done everything he can for him and I am sure we will get his lantus to the right dosage soon. But he not gonna make it if he doesn't want to eat on his own!

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Re: Cat has not eaten in 4 days please help

The vet gave him a steroid shot or a single dose like prednisone? The steroid was for pancreatitis?

Do continue to syringe feed, the antibiotics may be giving him a belly ache. But, were any xrays done to see if he is blocked? He didn't eat at the vet's office at all? Did the vet try an appetite stimulant to help get him eating?

Do you know about hometesting the blood sugar? If we could get an idea of what his BG is now we may be able to help more. Also, any chance of getting some ketone sticks from the pharmacy to test his urine for ketones.

Do you know what dose of Lantus the vet was giving and when his last shot was.

Sorry I seem to have more questions than answers.

3. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

many p-titis kitties don't eat b/c of nauesea and /or pain.
    it is sooo very important that you get food into him one way or another.
    not eating can cause many serious problems for any cat, and especially a FD kitty.

It's great you are syringing some food.... can you give him more than you already are? have you tried making little meatballs out of cat food and feed him those? I have better luck with that then syringes with my kitty.
    i used a high calorie pate style food like wellness core canned.

as Jen mentioned. appy stims can work wonders. Please talk to your vet. these can be life savers.
    I have had success using mirtazapine ( as have others on this board)
    it only has to be pilled every three days. your vet needs to write a script for this. it is not expensive

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2552

cyproheptidine is an antihistimine that also acts as an appy stim for cats. but it must be dosed every 12 hours.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_cy ... adine.html

thing is that even w/ the appy stim, if cat is very nauseous ( mirtazapine does have some anti nausea properties) they don't work well.
    sometimes pepcid AC 1/4 tab of the orig. is enough.
    but often with p-titis kitties something stronger is needed. for nausea ondansetron works great ( can be a pill or injectable. i have used pills w/ my cp kitties. the pills are generic and low cost from my pharm)
    if your kitty is vomiting. cerenia is a better choice for short term use, in my experience.

pain is the other big issue--pancreatitis is a very painful condition, and unfortunately, cats are experts at hiding pain.

Feline Pancreatitis: Underdiagnosed and Overlooked
    Margie Scherk, DVM, DABVP (Feline)

Analgesia is of critical importance in the comfort of the patient, but also in the progression of the disease/inflammation through the negative physiological effects of pain. Pain causes disease and prevents healing. Even if obvious abdominal pain isn't present, use a "test dose" of 0.1-0.2-mg/kg oxymorphone IV to see if the patient improves over the approximately 6 hour effective period. If that is the case, then constant rate infusion of a narcotic may be considered or a transdermal fentanyl patch (DuragesicTM) for continuous relief. TorbugesicTM is not as effective for visceral pain as the opioid agonists are.

in other words, buprenex or fentanyl patches are best options for home care.

buprenorphine works very well for p-titis pain. I have use it for my kitty.
    I give it orally --- under the tongue or between cheek and gum. it must be absorbed in the oral mucosa.

i'm glad you're vet gave your kitty fluids as they are also very helpful.

there are other supportive measure /supplements that can be used to help your kitty recover from his p-titis attack.
    ( ie b12 injections, denasyl or denamarin are strong antioxidants)

but for now the important thing is to take measures to get your kitty to eat.

Here are some things you can do do entice your cat to eat..... but remember treating the symptoms that are causing the inappetence is best.... you have the dx you just need to tools to treat the nausea and pain at home.

ok those enticements:

-sometimes in order to get a cat to eat you even have to resort to dry it is more important that they eat. there are a couple low carb / grain free brands -- EVO and wellness core.

-making a buffet to give him choices

sprinkle food with :
    - forta flora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    - parm. cheese
    - smashed crumbles of dry food
    - bonito tuna flakes
    - halo chicken treats -- crumble into dust over food -- my Wolfie loves this stuff.
    - poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)
    - I do not have a trader joes -- but others swear by trader joe tuna for cats
    - powdered oregano. yep sounds weird . but some cats like it and it will entice them to eat.
    -baby food -- beechnut turkey and broth or chicken and broth. they have no onions or other additives. some babyfoods have onions . please read labels if you can't find beechnut.

also here are a couple links to read about p-titis. ( sorry don't mean to overwhelm. ;-) bookmark and read when you get the chance )
    texas a&m gi lab developed the fPLI test to dx pancreatitis. they give a nice general explanation:

http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/research/ ... itis.shtml

the head of that lab worked with idexx to develop another test -- they have some interesting reads at this site:
    http://www.idexx.com/animalhealth/labor ... /index.jsp

jojo , a member of this board who is a tech wrote this up:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... msg-876776

good luck and please post back and let us know how your kitty is doing.

4. susieqbutte

susieqbutte New Member

Thank you for all your help. Tinky died in my arms this morning at 6:30. I am so happy he died here at home and not at the vets. I will miss him so much my heart is just breaking!

5. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Susie
    I am so sorry for your loss. I was hoping that the food would help.
    Fly free sweet Tinky.
    (go back and edit your first post and put the candle there so it will be seen by others)

6. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Susie, my deepest and most heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your dearly loved Tinky. So sad to read and my heart goes out to you.

[​IMG]

7. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

It's so sad to see that your beloved Tinky wasn't able to regain his health - I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye but at least he was home with you, being loved and not alone.

I was helping a friend with a young kitty not long ago (diabetic) and much the same thing happened as with your Tinky. She lost her furry friend also - no matter what, she just wouldn't eat. Sometimes it's beyond out help and nothing we do will change it.

My heart goes out to you in your sadness - I'm hoping the wonderful memories and love you shared together will ease your grief somewhat - knowing that he is in a happy place and will never feel pain or hunger again. The hole they leave in our hearts and lives is never totally filed.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

8. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry. My deepest condolences to you, and prayers for your comfort and peace.

9. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

I'm so sorry to read you've lost your sweet Tinky

Fly free Tinky

10. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. He was surrounded by love in life and at the very end, a true blessing.

11. michelle & jake

michelle & jake Member

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss...big hugs to you & your family...

12. Deb and Pippin

Deb and Pippin Member

[​IMG]

I am so sorry you lost your Tinky.

Fly high and free on your beautiful new wings little one.

13. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((susie))))) I am so very sorry for your loss. Fly free, dear Tinky. rb_icon

14. M L and Cleo (GA)

M L and Cleo (GA) Member

I'm so sorry Tinky had to leave you. Sending you prayers for comfort and peace.

15. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

(((Susie))) I am so sorry. Fly free Tinky. rb_icon

16. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. I was praying he would make a turnaround. (((Susie)))

17. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I am so very sorry for your loss.
    wings_cat

18. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

so very sorry for your loss.

Peace Tinky rb_icon

19. Terri & Tananda

Terri & Tananda Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

20. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May all your wonderful memories of Tinky comfort you...

...'til you meet again.

21. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((((((((((((((((((SUSIE)))))))))))))))))))))))))000000

Sending many cyber hugs..I am so very sorry for your loss. Tinky is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon

wings_cat

22. cjleo

cjleo Member

So sorry for your loss of your beloved Tinky. Fly free on angel wings, Tinky.

Claudia

23. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry your Tinky is gone. So very sad.

Fly free Tinky on the wings of angels...
    Jeanne

24. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

(( Susie ))

I'm so sorry for your loss.

25. Natasha & Seamus

Natasha & Seamus Member

So sorry for your loss :(

26. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss.

27. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

yes...in your arms is much better than in a cage, alone.
    I am so sorry for your loss. May your loving memories carry you thru this sad time.
    Fly freeeeee little one!

28. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Tinky. You tried to do everything you could. Your baby knew you loved him very much.

I went through the same thing with my sweet Tida back in February. She just stopped eating, I tried everything. But she was ready....and I think Tinky was too. Fly free sweet baby.....

29. Maureen & Sammy

Maureen & Sammy Member

I am so terribly terribly sorry.

30. Kellie and Oreo (GA)

Kellie and Oreo (GA) Member

I am very sorry. God Bless Tinky. May memories of him give you comfort.
    Kellie

31. lovetheduns

lovetheduns Member

My thoughts are with you

32. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

My deepest sympathy

This is so awful. Poor little Tinky didn't even get a good chance to deal with his diabetes, despite your best efforts. The Rainbow Bridge folks must have needed him there very badly.

Hugs,
    Rebecca

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.