Cat instantly better?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pipesmomma, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipesmomma

Pipesmomma New Member

One of my cats just turned 7. She has been an apartment cat her whole life. For the past 2 years she has been on various diets to try and lose weight. Well she started losing weight drastically and was acting strange. I took her into vet and she was diagnosed with diabetes. They started her on vetsulin 2 units. They increased it to 3 and then 3.5 over the course of three weeks. Nothing was happening. Then she went hypo after we moved into our new house. She now has access to outdoors. They put her on wd but after reading your forums I put her on friskies and fancy feast classic pate. We reduced her to two units. I have an alphatrak. Well starting on Tuesday (she went hypo at 62 last friday) she has had normal blood sugar ranging from 90 to 139. So I haven't given her insulin. Can a cat improve that drastically? Seems strange to be at 300 Monday night and now she is all better?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Keep testing. If she's under 150 with no insulin for two weeks it's considered a remission. It's very possible to be diet controlled esp for a cat so young.

Pipesmomma, Rain7 and krazy4kritters like this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

It's possible you're one of the lucky few, just keep testing at least once a day for now.
    How bad was the HYPO episode? Any seizures, frothing, lingering problems with vision or balance?

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Changing food can do it.

5. Lillie

Lillie Member

My cat's glucose levels changed drastically when I took him off the dry food. He had a minor hypo in the beginning due to being on insulin while his glucose levels were decreasing due to the food change. Big mistake changing his food at the same time of starting insulin. When I started home testing I saw how low he was going and had to stop the insulin. He's maintained now without insulin but does get spikes when he's traumatized at the vet hospital. I had no idea at the time how much of a difference food would make, along with losing some of his fat. (he was over weight due to the dry food crap)

6. Pipesmomma

Pipesmomma New Member

I apologize for the late delay. For some reason I was never notified that anyone replied. The only reason I knew she was in hypo prior to me testing her was that my husband's cat was sleeping very near her. Almost keeping watch. And then she barely could lift her head. Her eyes are normally very clear but when she is not well, they become glassy. She has not had insulin since Monday evening, but now her levels are below normal. She was 94 Sunday morning, 67 Sunday night and 78 this morning. She is not acting like she doesn't feel well but this seems really low. She is definitely getting enough food. She is still ravenously hungry. Every Monday i speak to the vet so I have already placed my call. Just waiting on a call back.

7. JanetNJ

Those are perfect numbers for a cat not on insulin. :). How exciting

8. Pipesmomma

Pipesmomma New Member

This is the night I was referring to. I thought you might find it interesting. The black cat is my husband's cat. We moved into together about 2 weeks ago and I brought 3, he brought 1. These two tolerate each other with an occasional hiss. But the days she is sick, he sleeps right next to her...with safe distance. And she doesn't even care.

Attached Files:

Laura bb likes this.
  9. Pipesmomma

Pipesmomma New Member

I just wanted to let you know that Piper's vet has confirmed she is no longer insulin dependent. She is in remission. Thank you to this forum, Friskies and Fancy Feast. Life saver!!

JanetNJ likes this.
  10. Lillie

Lillie Member

Wonderful news!

11. JanetNJ

Awesome! Make sure you test every couple weeks to see that the numbers are still good.

12. Zipdrive

Zipdrive Member

Way to go Piper and Pipersmomma.

Another little one that's :otj:.

My Simone went into remission about 2 + weeks after changing her diet to a Fancy Feast & Friskies wet combo thanks to the folks here on the forum. I was surprised that it happened that quickly but was told that it can happen in some cases. Looks like Piper is another one of those cases, which is great.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.