Cat isn't eating, blood sugar is normal

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MermaidAllDay, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MermaidAllDay

MermaidAllDay New Member

We have a 12 year old cat who's been diabetic for 3 years, very well maintained. We test twice a day and adjust her insulin (novolin n) as needed based on those readings. She is on a prescription diet of the Hills m/d twice a day (7 am and 7 pm feedings).

Well, I was sick the last few days and really slacked off with her insulin and testing. It wasn't given as regularly as it is and yesterday evening, she refused to eat. Her testing was at 566. We gave her 3 units and a few hours later, she was down to 333. We then gave her an appetite stimulant, mirtazapine, and she still didn't eat (disclosure, the meds are very close to being expired, they expire this month). Checked blood sugar again this morning and it was down to 86, then 66 two hours ago. These are pretty normal readings for her when she's healthy - 300s before eating, then normal ranges with adjusted insulin.

We grabbed some regular wet food that we use in case of emergency if she gets hypoglycemic and she's eating some of it, but not much. Sugars are back up in the high 70s.

Her vet visit is scheduled for Thursday afternoon, in calling around to see if I can get in anywhere else today, but so far, no luck. The only place that said "maybe" is the 24 hour VCA emergency vet -- who wants $200 to just see her. Without any treatment. I'll bring her there if I need to, but are there any other ideas I can do in the meantime? Still calling other vets in the area, so I may not be responsive to this thread.

2. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

You might want to repost this in the forum for the type of insulin you are using. Put a question mark using the drop down menu in your title. You are likely to get a quicker response if you repost in the forum for the insulin that you are using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.