Cat just diagnosed with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tracy Anderson, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracy Anderson

Tracy Anderson New Member

I’m Tracy. My cat Love was a stray when we were blessed with him. He was very skinny then. We took him in, feed him and loved him lots hence the name love. Well we went away for 2 days left him home with food water and 2 litter boxes. We’ve done this several times but this time we get home he’s different.
    He had lost weight, hardly ate any his food and don’t look like he drank water but he used one of the litter boxes. He was very lethargic. I started feeding him wet food thru a tub and water. He keep it down. This was all Sunday. I monitored him all night. Monday morning the same but this time I heard him meow but he didn’t wanna walk too far or much. So I immediately took him to his vet. First upon seeing my love he said looks like billy Rubin but after running tests he said he was a diabetic cat. He’s still there at the vet. Sugar is stable. Not eating on his own. Breathing is good. Still pushing fluids in him. We’re gonna bring him home Thursday regardless of what the vet thinks. They saying if after 3 days no improvement they suggest to owners to put to sleep. My husband told vet NO!! Run the blood work and we’ll take it from there. We nurse him at home and if he passes at least he’ll be surrounded by love ones. What are my procedures once I get him home? What and how do I feed him? What liquid do I give him? Will I need to have him on an iv here? Will I need to start giving insulin? Which insulin and how much? How many times a day? I’ve written a lot. Sorry
    I’m so sad and depressed. I haven’t eaten since he’s been in hospital. Please help us. Thank you very much

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I am sorry you are going through all of this with your baby. Could you please post your questions on the main health forum so that they will get more attention. This is just a welcome/introduction forum.

Does Love have other issues besides the diabetes? It sounds like he may. Are his kidneys ok?

3. Tracy Anderson

Oh okay I’ll repost it. Thank you. We haven’t been told of any other issues. Just that he’s diabetic. Sent off for the blood work today though.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board Tracy and Love. I'm so sorry to hear of the problems poor little Love is having. I know the members here will help as much as they can.

5. Tracy Anderson

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. We are here to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.