? Cat Litter brand?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by J.J. and Phoebe Squeak, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm popping over from the L&L forum with a question about cat litter brands. When Phoebe Squeak was diagnosed with diabetes, I was told not to use litter with clay because she will be peeing a lot and it will stick to her and make her unhappy. So I looked for one that didn't smell and had no clay. I ended up with Weruva but it tracks all over the house.
    Does anyone have a brand they like that doesn't smell, doesn't stick to our sugar cats and doesn't track? (A tall order, I know.) I'd love some suggestions.
    Thanks in advance and happy Monday!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I love Okocat natural wood clumping litter. It has a very faint, pleasant wood smell. It clumps surprisingly well and does a good job at controlling odor. There is very little tracking, nothing like clay litter. My sister's cat had issues with litter sticking to him, so she switched to it, and it resolved that problem for her. They have a few different kinds. I like the regular natural wood clumping one (even though my cats have very long hair), but they also have one for long hair breeds that is more of a pellet if you really want to be sure there is no sticking. Some stores carry it but I usually get mine from Chewy.com.

3. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Thank you very much! I will check it out. Mia is beautiful!!

4. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak said
    Does anyone have a brand they like that doesn't smell, doesn't stick to our sugar cats and doesn't track? (A tall order, I know.) I'd love some suggestions.

I use Tractor Supply version of Feline Pine pellets. They start out as hard pellets but turn into sawdust when the cat pees on them. They also have a faint woodsy smell. They are bagged as horse bedding but many people use it as cat litter. I couldn't deal with the dust,tracking, etc of the clay litter. They are $6 for a 40 lb bag. So glad I switched. I am never going back to clay !! Some cats take to it with no problems. Others may need a transitioning period. The only downside is that I can't judge the amount of pee (if it's increased or decreased ) in the litterbox.

Sorry, I don't know how to do a quote in a reply. Not a tech savvy person. Still don't know how to use all the features on my cell phone,lol.

5. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Thank you very much! So interesting that it's horse bedding -- new to this city gal for sure!

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I use a clumping clay litter. However, I do not use the "light" variety. I found the lightweight clumping was not ideal with a longhair cat. The regular weight is fine. As long as it's unscented, Gizmo is happy. Gabby didn't care.

7. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Interesting. It's so true that ECID. I may have to do more experimenting. Thanks very much for chiming in!

8. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share that the reason I changed litter from clay in the first place was that cats can consume some litter when they clean themselves, and the clay is not good for them to consume. (Willow had an x-ray where they found 'gravel sign at the pylorus' and a suspected culprit was litter.) The wood is biodegradable. You can even flush it, if you want.

9. Susan & Claudio

Susan & Claudio Member

FurBabiesMama
    Good point. I forgot all about that. The other thing I remembered was that my cat would get cement feet. He would pee, then turn around with his feet in the urine then proceed to scratch and bury his business. Urine on paws + clay litter = cement feet. A real pain to clean his paws.

10. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

I use wood stove pellets as well. It really absorbs the odour and with 4 cats in the house, the litter box is a "happening place" for sure. It doesn't clump but I'm not a big fan of clumping clay litter anyways. I figure that if the litter clumps with moisture, it can clump in the cat's digestive/lung system as well. I get mine from Canadian Tire $6.49 for 40 lb bag.

11. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Dr Elseys has many different kinds. They are clay but I haven’t had any issues & T has long hair (his pants :p) and long tufts of hair that come out of his little feet! No issues. I have multiple fluffy cats & none of them have had it stuck to them :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.