Cat loosing hair......

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bo & Jake, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

My 6yrs old female civie Maya is loosing hair bettween her rear legs and lower tummy.
    I noticed it when she was turning on her back and playing. Now in the summer she spends lots of time in the garden
    laying on the ground in the beans bushes. I don't see her much itching just regular grooming.
    Should I be worried?
    Poor lil sweetheart - her private spot is so "naked'!
    Any advice /answer is appreciated!
    Thanks

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Hair loss on the belly and inside legs could be a food allergy. You may want to do a food trial. Switch to a single protein food, such as duck, venison or rabbit.

You'd need to give it at least 30 days to see if it's a food allergy.

Hopefully others will have more advice for you.

3. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I have the same problem right now with my civie, Emily. I think we both have to take our kitties to the vet. It could be behavioural, allergy, itching (fleas?), hyperthyroidism, internal pain in the area, or a few other things. Miss Emily is chewing her hair short, and has a bald patch on her hip. Have you found any tufts of hair that she has pulled out, or do you see her licking the area a lot, or is the skin inflamed in the bald area?

4. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

http://www.cathealth.com/hyperesthesia.htm

My cat, Ketchie, has Hyperesthesia, and it causes her to overgroom on her belly, tail and hind legs. Part of it is due to food allergies, I believe, but it is also a nervous anxiety type of problem.

She also has Idiopathic Interstitial Cystitis. Ketchie just turned 15 on August 1, this year, born in my house on August 1, 1995. This problem started when she was about five years old or so. Not much that I can do for her. I do keep her away from 'fishy' foods and those with wheat gluten in them, but she still does eat some foods that have the wheat gluten in.

I think it is more of an obsessive compulsive behavior, and when she stays in a room by herself for part of the day, I notice she is not so nervous.

I might try to take some pictures of her underneath and post them here. Her back also twitches, and she gets the cat 'crazies' sometimes and races around like she has seen a ghost.

Good luck.

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

5. vansplic

vansplic Member

My civie Omi is doing the same thing. When I brought her to the vet they suggested allergies. The allergies would most likely be food as we had just changed foods for Itty. Up until Itty she had been on the same food for 8 years. She had health issues on all other foods I tried her on as a kitten. The vet also suggested it may be stress related.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Check for Hyperthyroid and allergy

7. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Thank You....

For the input!
    Will call vet first thing in the morning for an app! She is licking bald spot a lot and I think it's lil inflamed.
    Hope that vet can take her in the am!

8. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Hyperthyroid is usually not inflamed -- just licking from an overall itchy-ness

allergies are more likely to cause inflammation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.