cat losing fur?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by fourcatsmama, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fourcatsmama

fourcatsmama Member

I noticed a bald spot on Presley, on his side down by his hip. He's a long haired cat, so you'd think the rest of the fur would have covered it, but it's pretty noticeable. It isn't red on the skin, it doesn't seem to be bothering him like he got into a tussle with one of the other cats, and he isn't doing anything else weird, like not eating or acting like something is bothering him, he's just missing a patch of fur.

2. Tina and Regis (GA)

Tina and Regis (GA) Member

I had a cat way back over 30 years ago that started to lose her fur. She was a long hair too. That was in the day where we didn't go to vets much.

Now, I would take kitty or call the vet for advice.

Back then, I got some Linatone and gave it to her every day and her fur grew back.

I guess she had a defeciency. Back then, Tuna was an innie outie cat. I had her from the day she was born and she lived to be 19.

Now, I would also google info but still talk to the vet.

3. JGinMA Lindy (GA)

JGinMA Lindy (GA) New Member

You might want to have your cat tested for thyroid issues. My 15 1/2 year old short hair girl had hair loss a couple of winters in a row. Thought it was dry hot air or maybe allergies - but then realized we were in two separate residences that were very different. Had her tested and she tested hyperthryoid. She has been on 2.5 mg of the generic for tapazole (sp?) and no more bald spot and her fur is thicker and shinier (it was still shiny even when she was losing her hair). There might be other reasons as well such as psychological/anxiety/worrying.

So I'd have your cat tested.

Good luck,

Janice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.