Cat mom needs tips on diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Zeplinsmom, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeplinsmom

Zeplinsmom New Member

Hi everyone,

My cat Zeplin is 16 years old. He was diagnosed with diabetes a month ago. Since then, things are not good. He used to have so much energy. Now he barely has energy to walk around.

He has neuropathy on his hind legs. He's developing these scary sores on his back paws.

I'm working with the vets. So far the Insolin is not working. I'm so stressed out and I'm sad to say I'm mentally preparing to say goodbye. I'm going to fight to keep him allive, but I don't know how this is going to pan out or if there is hope for him.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB. Getting the diagnosis of diabetes is never easy but diabetes is totally treatable and there is no reason to think there is no hope for Zeplin. With proper treatment, you can enjoy his companionship for years to come. We are all here to tell you things will get better. The first little while can be a bit of a rollercoaster but we are here to help in any way we can. Please post over on the Health forum HERE and let us know a bit more about Zeplin such as the insulin you are using, if you are home testing, the meter you use and any other health issues Zeplin has. This board is a cornucopia of information on all things feline so post any and all questions because there are no silly questions around here. Help is just a post away! :)

Laura bb likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome!

4. Zeplinsmom

Zeplinsmom New Member

5. Zeplinsmom

Zeplinsmom New Member

I'm giving him Lantus, as instructed by his vet. We started 1 unit a little over a month ago. Now we are up to 2 and half to 3. He lost 2 pounds in a month and a half. I was not told to test his glucose. The vet tests him every 2 weeks. He also has hyperthyroidism. That might cause him to reject the Insolin also. In addition to the Insolin, we are giving him a shot of B12 once a week for the neuropathy. That has gotten really bad. He has sores on his back paws.

6. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Welcome to the board - you've come to a great place for answers, information and support!

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I am sorry you are not seeing any improvement in Zeplin yet. We'd love to help you work through things with him to get you both feeling better. Hyperthryoidism definitely plays a role in dealing with his diabetes but dosing needs to be done slowly and methodically to avoid missing the best dose. Adjusting doses based on BG readings taken at the vet's office can often result in too much insulin being prescribed and we recommend much smaller dose increases at a time than what it seems your vet is prescribing. Please start a new thread HERE where we deal with specific health issues with any and all questions. This is just our welcome mat and not meant for advice.:)

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You can give additional b12 methylcobalamin orally. Many use Zobaline which can be purchased on amazon. Are you testing at home?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.