Cat not eating all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Vickie&Socks, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vickie&Socks

Vickie&Socks New Member

Hello,

My cat socks who is 10 years old, has been on pzi insulin 2 units for a few months now, and she has always been wanting to eat all the time. But have noticed since yesterday that she is not wanting to really eat at all now. Maybe a few nibbles here and there but nothing like before. Is this normal when there BS is regulated or is maybe her BS to low? She just is laying around not doing much of anything. Her not eating all of a sudden is what concerns me. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appericated am very concerned.

Thank you
    Vickie & Socks

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Vicki it could be any number of things from being nothing wrong to something serious.

So let's start with some basic questions.

Are you home testing?
    If yes, do you have a spreadsheet?
    What are her BG's ranging at?
    How often do you give PZI?
    How long on 2 units?
    What kind of food are you feeding?
    Any other medical issues?
    Is she using the LB normally?
    Any straining?
    Any vomiting?
    How are her teeth? when did she see the dentist last?
    Does she usually just lay around or is she an active cat? Or have spurts of activity?
    How long since she stopped eating?

You may have provided this information somewhere else, but these are the questions everyone will ask in order to get some understanding of what could be happening.

Generally speaking, once cats become regulated on their insulin - they tend to eat less than before regulation. Before Maui was regulated she could eat 6 or more ounces of food in one sitting. Since being regulated, it's tapered off and all my cats free feed on wet food.

Like I said, this could be anything from nothing to worry about, to something to worry about and a vet visit may be needed. No way to know, without the additional information.

3. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Have you tried to entice her with something different and she just won't eat anything? Is she fed Friskies or FF? I so, have you followed the threads on those in the last month. Many cats are turning their noses up at Friskies and the new labels of FF lately.

4. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Have you been testing her blood glucose or getting ketone tests of her urine?

5. Heather & Angel (GA)

Heather & Angel (GA) Member

A trip to the vet to check renal values is probably a good idea, as well.

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Vicki, how is Socks? Is the 911 still needed on your post?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.