cat not eating-hesitant to give insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by angelkitty, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angelkitty

angelkitty New Member

Angel is 16, just diagnosed with diabetes. Also has heart disease, kidney disease, possible mass in lung and one on ear (huge hematoma from scratching so am down to one ear to use for testing).
    She came home from hosp yesterday. BS were 500-600...
    My other two cats were on Lantus and one is currently on honeymoon. The other one is in heaven.
    Dr started Angel on Humulin stating her BS were more stable on that than Lantus. I prefer Lantus however for now, my main concern is that she does not want to eat. Yes, she has a ton of issues she is dealing with that could also be contributing but I am nervous giving her insulin when she doesn't eat.
    Last night she was 439 and I gave her one unit. She ate a teeny tiny bit of canned food.
    This morning she was at 329 and I gave her one unit but she didn't hardly eat at all. At least with Lantus food isn't as crucial (although I know a cat not eating is an entirely different problem).
    Any suggestions? I tried FF, Friskies, baby food, turkey, tuna, AD, Science Diet...she is not interested.

2. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear your girl is having so much trouble.

You are testing, so could you test before shooting anything? I think that if her BG is over 200, perhaps shoot half the usual dose? Especially if you can spot-check about 3 hours later or so.

Inappetance is rough. Tried cooked fish or chicken? Fresh tuna? Something smelly and a real treat?

If no go, can your vet give her an appetite stimulant?

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Have you tried warming the food? Also, when a cat doesn't eat it may be time to try the dreaded dry food.....anything to get her to eat. Would also talk with the vet about this.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Squeak wouldn't eat when diagnosed, so I syringe fed him watered down baby food several times a day. Your cat needs both insulin and food as you know, so syringe feeding is the easiest way to solve your dilema. Of course, there are times when syringe feeding is not a good idea, typically when hepatic lipidosis is involved.

Jen

5. angelkitty

angelkitty New Member

Greatly appreciate suggestions. Will try cooked chicken, fish tonight. Getting periaction from the vet (although I have tried it with a few of my other kitties and never had much luck). Yes, definitely testing before shooting :) Will also try warming the food and will try the syringe with watered baby food. All great ideas..anything to help my girl get through this tough time. Thanks again.

6. Marsha & Lucky (GA)

Marsha & Lucky (GA) New Member

My Lucky was like that in the beginning of diagnosis, and each time he got sick. Periactin 1/4 tablet of a 4 mg tablet made him eat about a half-hour after I gave it. He also liked the canned cat foods with gravy or special sauce, although i didn't normally give that to him, when he went off his food, I gave him anything he wanted that he would eat. Hope you get your kitty to eat very soon. i will pray for you.
    Marsha & Lucky (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.