Cat not eating much and secreting white stuff out of eyes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alana_danielle94, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

My cat has not been eating recently for about 24 hours now. He will eat a little bit when I try to make him eat but not nearly as much as he normally eats. This morning he had white gunk in the inner corners of both of his eyes, something I have never seen before from him. He is still drinking and peeing. His BG was just really low when I took it (75). I don't know what I should do as far as taking him to a vet right now and spending the money or waiting another day or so to see what happens. I'm worried if I wait something bad could happen. Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2016
    Reason for edit: Removed 911. Kitty going to the vet.
  2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Since we're coming up on the weekend, I would take him to the vet. Prayers that all is well!

3. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

Thank you! Do you have any idea of what if could be?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree - if you're worried I'd have it checked.

5. Kris & Teasel

Secretions from eyes could indicate irritation, allergy or respiratory infection.

6. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

How serious/urgent are those things? Could it wait till tomorrow morning?

7. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

I'm always a worrier and follow my instinct as much as possible. You know Simon best and what he is like, if it isn't normal for him to be this way then ring the vet and see what they suggest. Has he had insulin recently? If he has and he has a low number I would be trying to get some honey on his gums to bring up his sugar level. The not eating is a worry - I seem to remember my vet saying if my cat doesn't eat to ring them immediately. They always say ringing them is free and can advise over the phone.

Please let us know how you get on.

8. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

I haven't given him any insulin for over 24 hours because his numbers were low. Other than those two symptoms, he seems normal, that's what is confusing me on what to do.

9. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Are there any treats he likes that he can be bribed with? I would personally ring the vets and see what they suggest - but as I said, I do tend to worry and be overprotective!

10. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

I did talk to several vets and they said to bring him in but I won't be able to do that till tomorrow morning at the earliest unless I go to an emergency vet now. I am trying to avoid the after hours fee if possible if its not very urgent.

11. Kris & Teasel

If you can get him in tomorrow morning you could likely wait. Meanwhile, try to get him to eat. Maybe warm the food a little or add some tuna juice.

12. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Are you sure it was gunk in his eyes and not the third eyelid? The third eyelid is also white. Sometimes people confuse the two.

Have you tried finger or syringe feeding... sometimes it's just enough to get a cat eating again.
    The info in these links might be helpful:

13. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

I was able to wipe it off with a paper towel. He produces more after I wipe it off especially when he's sleeping. I was able to get him to eat a little of the Purina Pro Plan DM dry food but he won't eat the Young Again food at all. He usually likes the YA food. He also slept pretty much all day. I will be taking him to the vet soon.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  14. Squalliesmom

Please let us know what the vet says! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

keeping my fingers crossed for you x

16. Kris & Teasel

Good luck!

17. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My guess is an upper respiratory infection. It could wait until morning, but I would bring him in for sure. if it's an eye infection they will give you an ointment antibiotic you apply to the eyes... if it's an URI they will give you oral antibiotics or a shot.

18. minxkohl&mush

minxkohl&mush Member

My mush had that & it was the herpes virus, the stuff was also coming out of his nose, couldn't smell so he couldn't eat. this is what I think caused his diabetes. Doc gave his powerful medicine, & he was healthy
    after that. PLEASE TAKE HIM TO THE VET. Keep us posted.

19. JanetNJ

Oh yeah could be herpes or pink eye.

20. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

I took him to the vet and they ran a CBC. All of his kidney numbers were abnormal and he was positive for pancreatitis. She said that meant he was in kidney failure. A month ago when he was diagnosed with diabetes all of his kidney numbers were normal. She said all this could be caused by a kidney infection and/or acute kidney failure. He was also dehydrated. She wanted to hospitalize him for 24 hours on an IV but I couldn't afford that so I brought him home. They gave him a shot of antibiotics and gave me a stronger antibiotics in tablet form to give him if I can get him to eat. Last night he vomited twice so they also gave him anti-nausea medicine to take over the next few days hoping it will help him eat. To help with rehydration, she gave me an IV that I have to hook him up to once a day long enough to pump 200 mL under his skin. If he gets better in the next few days than we know it was probably an infection. If not than it is most likely kidney failure. She recommended feeding him the Purina Pro Plan DM dry food again because it is lower in protein than the YA food which apparently is helpful to the kidneys. Not sure what to do about that.

21. SweetAngel

SweetAngel Member

Hoping he makes a full recovery, thinking of you both

alana_danielle94 likes this.
  22. Kris & Teasel

Crossed fingers it's an infection that clears soon.

23. JanetNJ

Protien is ok in early stages of kidney failure.... Otherwise they risk muscle loss. But they do need increased moisture so wet is better for kidney failure cats. One of my noon diabetics are ckd. He gets fluids every other day (100 ml). Do you have a copy of the labs you could post?

24. JanetNJ

There's a GREAT kidney disease group on Facebook of you are interested in joining.

25. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

I don't have a copy of the blood work right now but I can try to get them to email it to me. What's the group called on Facebook? Thanks for the recommendation! The vet made it sound like it was likely kidney failure rather than an infection because he has pancreatitis. A month ago (when he was diagnosed with diabetes) he was tested for early stage kidney failure but was negative. Do you think an infection could cause pancreatitis when his glucose has been controlled for a month?

26. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

27. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

There are two groups on facebook- I think they are both pretty helpful.

Cats with Chronic Renal Failure-Support Group
    Feline Chronic Kidney Disease

28. JanetNJ

The group is Cats With Chronic Renal Failure

Really knowledgeable people on there who have helped me a lot.

29. JanetNJ

Did they give him any pain killer for the pancratitis? My ckd boy Zimmy had it two weeks ago. He stopped eating and looked to be in pain. He was already on fluid therapy so wasn't completely dehydrated, but he had taken to sticking his head in the toilet and laying next to the water bowl so I knew something was wrong. Brought him in to find it was pancreatitis. Vet put him on cerenia for nausea, we did 100 ml daily fluids (instead of the usual 3x a week) and a pain killer which was pre-filled in syringes under the tounge.

When we got home we gave him his meds and he was able to finally relax after being in pain for several days .... He slept so soundly for a solid hour and a half. Took about 5 days to be back to himself. If you didn't get a pain killer and he looks uncomfortable ask about it. Started with a Bupe

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  30. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

:( Hope you can get him regulated.

31. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

It is possible that the dehydration at the time when the blood draw was taken may have influenced the kidney lab values.

Useful links for pancreatitis treatment and nausea management:

IDEXX pancreatitis treatment guidelines

Nausea and vomiting - symptoms & treatments

I second Janet's input on the benefit of pain relief for treatment of the pancreatitis (as well as making the kitty more comfortable it can help a flare resolve faster). A course of vitamin B12 injections helps, too. The IDEXX document is very helpful as a guide to which treatments to request from your vet.

I hope Simon feels better very soon. He's beautiful.

:bighug:

Mogs

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  32. Kris & Teasel

Glad you're back, Mogs! :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  33. Critter Mom

BTW, I strongly recommend that you get your vet to give Simon a thorough eye examination (pancreatitis can trigger eye problems, e.g. uveitis).

Mogs

34. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

He doesn't seem to be in pain but they didn't give me any pain killers. They also gave me cerenia and two types of antibiotics in the case that he has an infection. He's still vomiting and not really eating. If it's not an infection what's the treatment for kidney failure and how long can they survive with that?

35. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

I had a very difficult time giving him his Cerenia pill this morning. They gave me a syringe to crush it up and put it in to shoot down his throat. He started foaming at the mouth and acted like he was going to throw up. He got really tired after and very uneasy. I haven't given him his antibiotics yet because I can't get him to eat anything and the vet said not to give it to him on a empty stomach. Any advice on the easiest way to give him a pill? I've also heard you can put electrolytes from Wal-Mart in their water to help hydration. Is that true? He is still drinking a lot of water compared to normal.

36. Critter Mom

Ask your vet for cyproheptadine to help stimulate appetite. Also ondansetron is a very good anti-nausea med (generic is much cheaper than branded version, Zofran). Try feeding small, frequent meals (easier to digest). Maybe try crushing the med and mixing it in well with a tsp of regular food and hand feeding it.

Mogs

37. Squalliesmom

I use Pill Pockets. I know they are full of carbs but I figure the BG spike from the stress of fighting to pill him is worse than the spike from a bit of Pill Pocket. I don't give the whole thing, I break it into pieces just big enough to cover the pill. I have never had a cat that could resist Pill Pockets!

38. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

Not sure the size of the pill, but would it fit in a gel cap if you crushed it or cut in half? I find it way easier to give pills in gel caps that are greased with butter or wet food. If I try to pill or syringe anything in Wiley's mouth that is bitter, he either foams really bad or spits it out. Gel caps have been a lifesaver for me. I really hope he starts eating soon.

39. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

You're getting good advice and doing the right thing. I hope he starts eating soon. Poor kitteh. Sending positive vibes to help you and your kitty.

40. Squalliesmom

Squallie drools copious - and I do mean copious - amounts of drool! He will continue to drool for about an hour, and it is a nasty mess, lol!

41. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

I blended up some of his wet food and was able to get two syringes in him as well as his antibiotics. The vet said to give him 200mL of fluid twice a day but he still has bags at the tops of his legs where the fluid hasn't absorbed after giving 200mL once a day. What's the least amount of fluid he needs?

42. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That's great that you got some food into him. I don't have experience with the fluid needs.

43. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

200 ml of fluid 2x daily is a lot. If the cat is not absorbing the fluids quickly, then they are NOT needed. Please contact your vet before giving any more fluid.

Critter Mom likes this.
  44. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

What could happen if he is given too much fluid? Is 200 mL once a day too much? And if I am syringe feeding him using a 10 mL syringe and he is 16 lbs, how many full syringes should he get a day assuming some of it is spilt. Do cats with CKD normally have to be syringe fed? Do they ever get their appetite back?

45. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

I got his blood test results from Saturday.

Attached Files:

46. Squalliesmom

I'm going to tag someone for you who is very familiar with giving fluids. @jayla-n-Drevon Jayla, can you help out here? Seems like an awful lot of fluids, but you have a better handle on this than I do! Thanks!

47. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

Alana I have given a number of cats sub-q fluids and more than willing to answer questions

48. Jill & Alex (GA)

I also have experience giving sub-q fluids and syringe feeding.
    The amount of fluids given depends on how dehydrated the cat is, the reason the cat is getting fluids, and if there are any known conditions where giving fluids would be contradicted.

When Alex was diagnosed with severe liver disease and acute renal failure we were told to give her 300 mL of fluids per day. We were also told to taper the amount down if she wasn't absorbing the fluids quickly. Within a couple of days we were able to take her down to 100 mL per day... eventually on an as needed basis once the acute renal crisis had passed. She did end up with CKD, but her renal numbers were never bad enough to require fluids daily. I lost Alex to cancer four years later... not because of diabetes or renal failure.

Don't give additional fluids if he hasn't already absorbed from the previous time.
    If you blend a 5.5 oz can of cat food in a blender or food processor without adding water, you should be able to fill ten to twelve 10 mL syringes. Ideally, that's about how much you want to feed daily. Tip: Blending food without adding water will yield a food mixture that is much like the consistency of a heavy whipped cream. When you do it that way, there's less spillage, mess, and it easier for kitty to lap it up!

To save time I would blend two 5.5 oz cans at a time so I'd have enough oral syringes made up for two days (20 to 24 ten mL syringes). Filled syringes can be kept refrigerated for up to 3 days.

Here's a post that should help:
    Syringe/Assisted Feeding (Video and Tips)
    Most cats will get their appetite back as soon as the crisis has passed if it's a case of acute renal failure.

Hope this helps...

Squalliesmom likes this.
  49. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

How can I determine how dehydrated he is? According to his blood tests on Saturday, his BUN was high (94), his creatinine was high (5.3), and his phosphate was high (8.4). The pancreatitis test came back abnormal as well. How long does it typically take for an acute renal failure crisis to pass and how will I know that it has passed? He is supposed to take his antibiotics, Zeniquin, for 13 more days. Do I need to have his blood recheck and if so how long should I wait before rechecking it?

50. Julia Rae

Ok that I can answer 1 way is to check his gums are they tacky???

51. Julia Rae

I gave my cat Peewee fluids and he got 150 daily, his fluids though where usally gone.. no bump left with in a hour or 2. I also gave the fluids just behind the shoulder blades.. pretty much in the area the cats get the insulin.

52. Jill & Alex (GA)

There isn't a specific time table when it comes to how long a specific acute renal crisis will last. It all depends on how quickly the cat is recovering. You'll see signs of recovery long before anyone else. Kitty will begin to eat on his own and show signs of bouncing back... returning to "normal".

General rule of thumb is to wait about a week to rerun blood work after a course of antibiotics, but this is a conversation you should have with your vet. When or if having blood work rechecked may very well depend on how well kitty is responding to treatment... whether you're seeing signs of recovery or decline.

53. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

His gums seem pretty moist and he still has a lump on his back from fluids given about 8 hours ago. The vet just made it seem like that wasn't enough. They wanted to hospitalize him and said they would have given him twice as much fluid to flush out the toxins built up in his kidneys.

54. Julia Rae

Trust your guts is the best thing I can say to that. You know your cat far better than any vet ever will. My advise is that if the fluids have not disbersed do dose again.. you might want to try spreading the fluids out over the day in several treatments.

55. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

I think I'll try giving him just 100 mL tomorrow and see how long it takes to absorb. Thanks for the advice. Is there anything else I should be giving him or doing to try to increase his chances of recovering and restoring appetite?

JanetNJ likes this.
  56. Julia Rae

With peewee I gave him beer but I am not sure that was the best thing.. but it got him to eat.

57. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

There is a discrepant in the lab report.

In the vet's notes, on p 1: "give 200 mls under the skin, 1-2 times daily."

On p 5, the plan is: "owner to give 200 ml LRS SQ 1-2xday for the next 2-3 days"

I'd put a phone call into the vet in the morning to confirm.

Jill & Alex (GA) and Julia Rae like this.
  58. Julia Rae

I am off to bed now.. it is midnight here and a long day is coming

59. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

I didn't catch that. I will call them and ask. Thanks for pointing that out! I did notice however that it said his pancreatitis test can back abnormal but on page 5 it has under rule outs pyelonephritis and pancreatitis. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what rule outs means.

60. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The blood test results also show high phosphorous so either low phosphorous food or phosphorous binder is required

61. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

Ok I was wondering how I was supposed to get those levels down. According to Tanya's website his phosphorus level requires a low phosphorus diet and a binder. Is it possible for his phosphorus level to drop too low? If so, what would happen? How do you get the BUN and Creatinine levels down? Why do the vets want me to give him sub Q fluids that have phosphorus in it? He's on Lactated Ringers which has phosphorus in it. Could that be why he's still not eating on his own? And lastly, his Creatinine and phosphorus levels have him falling in Tanya's stage 4 CKD range. Is that possible considering a month ago all of his levels were normal including a test for early stage kidney failure? Thanks for all the help!

62. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

Since your kitty has CKD and diabetes, how in the world do you know what to feed him? Tanya's website is suggesting prescription kidney diets but they are so high in crabs. Completely confused on what to feed him to try to control phosphorus levels, glucose levels, and BUN levels at the same time.

63. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

64. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

65. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

Wiley is in remission from diabetes and I don't want it to come back, so I feed him the same food he has been eating all along (low carb) and I add a phosphorous binder (powder that I mix into his food). I actually did try to feed him one can of kidney food and he wouldn't touch it anyway...so the binder is definitely the way to go for us. That being said, I do try to feed him food that is no more that 1.10 in phosphorous (dry matter) and under 10 carbs (as fed). The list that @jayla-n-Drevon mentioned is here-

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...KQ9wlZAe1Xy3LDTDVRofU/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

I have tried many of these foods and Wiley liked maybe 3 or 4 of them.

I think that 200ml fluids twice a day is too much...especially if he's not absorbing them by the next administration time. Too much fluids can be bad for their heart, so be careful. I would err on the side of less- maybe 100ml twice a day or 200ml once a day. How much does he weigh?

66. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

He weighs about 17 lbs. I think I'm going to try giving him just 150 mL once a day.

67. Squalliesmom

How is Simon doing now? Hope he is getting better. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  68. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

He is doing much better! Thanks for asking! He went to the vet yesterday to have his blood rechecked and his levels were a lot lower. His phosphorus was actually right in the middle of the normal range. His BUN and Creatinine were still high but only about half as high as they were a little over a week ago. She extended his antibiotics and gave me another pack of Cerenia to give him until his BUN and Creatinine drop back to normal and he is still getting fluids every other day. I started giving him an appetite stimulate and he is eating better but not back to normal yet. He lost about a pound over the past week. She said his eating should return to normal once his levels are normal. She thinks he got a UTI when his glucose was in the 500s back before he was diagnosed with diabetes and it wasn't detected on his blood work and went untreated allowing it to spread to his kidneys. He will have his blood checked again in a week to make sure we are still making progress.

Attached Files:

Critter Mom, JeffJ and Squalliesmom like this.
  69. Kris & Teasel

Really good news for you and Simon! :)

70. Squalliesmom

I'm so glad to hear he is doing better!!! Prayers for a full and speedy recovery! :bighug:

71. alana_danielle94

alana_danielle94 Member

Thank you!!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  72. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

That is good news. Hopefully he will be back to normal soon.

73. WileyWonderCat

WileyWonderCat Member

Glad to hear this news!! I really hope he continues to improve. :bighug::bighug:

74. Critter Mom

Great news! I'm sure you're feeling better for the relief!!

:bighug:

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.