Cat not improving...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mackenzie Obermeyer, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzy Pawzbourne

Ozzy Pawzbourne Well-Known Member

Mackenzie- how is your fur baby Mayton doing? I hope you will report back that he is improving. Sending well wishes to you and your kitty as he is recovering and for you too. I know how stressful and scary this is. BTW- Mayton is super adorable!

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Mackenzie,

I'm with Joanna; it would be great to get an update on how Mayton is doing.

I really like the photo of the two of you. He loves his mama. :cat:

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

3. Mackenzie Obermeyer

Mackenzie Obermeyer Member

Hello! Mayton has been doing great. I just fed him and gave him his insulin a minute ago. He ate 1/3 cup!! I also tested his ketones and they are negative. His PMPS was 591. We did a curve today and all of that is up on the spread sheet. The vet also did a 24 hour curve which is also on the spread sheet. They wanted us to do a curve since the results might be different at home.

But Mayton has been eating super well, basically the amount the serving says on the
    back of the DM food for his weight. I find that he eats well if I sit with him, because when my dad fed him he always eats a lot less. So I've been sitting with him everytime now.

His blood levels have been kinda high as you can see. Lots of 500s. But they change a lot throughout the day. Our doctor changed his insulin to 2 units in the morning and 1.5 at night. I'm not really sure why they lowered it though since they always seem high in the morning. We are supposed to report the results of our curve tomorrow morning to the vet.

4. Critter Mom

See! Told you he loves his mama. ;) He feels safe and secure when you're near him. :cat:

Thank you for giving us an update. (We worry when we don't hear anything ... :nailbiting:) I am delighted to hear that Mayton is eating better; it is so scary when our little ones have trouble eating. Great news on the ketone front, too.

Great job on Mayton's spreadsheet and the BG testing, Mackenzie. I've just had a quick look and he's getting a good response to the Lantus. It takes time to regulate a kitty because their bodies need to gradually relearn how to run at lower, healthy BG numbers. The key to successful regulation is regular testing and gradual, small dose adjustments (typically 0.25IU steps).

The tests you need to get each day are the preshot tests (AMPS and PMPS - make sure Mayton doesn't eat anything for 2 hours before you do these tests because you need to know what his BG is without any food influence) and also at least one mid-cycle test each day. If you're out during the day then getting a 'before bed' test in the evening cycle is helpful (e.g. PM+3). In addition to these tests it is advisable to run a curve once a week on a day when you're at home so that you can check the dose efficacy and duration. Lantus dosing is based on how low the dose takes the kitty (the nadir BG) so it's important to get these mid-cycle numbers.

We have a very active support group for Lantus users. Here is the link:

Lantus & Levemir Group

There are a number of very experienced members in the group who will be able to help you understand Mayton's pattern of response to his insulin (that's why sharing the spreadsheet data is so helpful!) and also offer you guidance and support through the process of getting him better regulated. If ever you're not sure of anything be sure to post with your questions.

A lot of cats tend to run at lower BG levels during the PM cycle so maybe that might be part of your vet's reasoning. That said, Lantus tends to work better when the same dose is given morning and evening; consistent dosing tends to produce better overall regulation.

WRT the higher AMPS, that's not uncommon. Some cats tend to have higher AMPS, some a higher PMPS. Testing and recording the results in the spreadsheet will help you to learn what Mayton's particular pattern is over time.

You are doing a terrific job looking after Mayton. He's a lucky boy to have you, Mackenzie.

:bighug:

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  5. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Great news!

6. Mackenzie Obermeyer

So Mayton threw up all his food tonight and he did last night too. It happens like 2 minutes after he finished eating. He doesn't eat super fast, and he ate just over a 1/4 cup. Should we start giving him the anti nausea pills again or does it sound like he is just over eating/eating to fast? Last night he continued to eat the food about 30 minutes later, I will try feeding him again soonish.

7. Critter Mom

Try getting a large plate and spreading the food out to help him pace his eating.

How often do you feed Mayton over a 24-hour period? Also, does he ever vomit up liquid if he hasn't eaten for quite a while?

Mogs

8. Mackenzie Obermeyer

We feed him at 6am, 12pm, 6pm, and we put some out before bed. He hasn't vomited this past 10 days probably expect for the last 2 night time feedings, so no.

9. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My cat Ginger, when she eats too fast, will throw up almost immediately after eating her food, and then right away ask for more food. If I know it's a food she really likes and has a potential to suck it all up too fast, then I smash it down with the back of a spoon into the bottom of her bowl (or I sometimes use a flat plate). This makes her eat her food more slowly, and almost always works, to stop the vomiting.

Mackenzie Obermeyer likes this.
  10. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

I have a cat that will gorge and puke too, then if I'm not quick enough, she'll eat the puke. Gross. As long as your kitty still wants to eat afterwords, it wouldn't concern me too much. Watch for signs of constipation or hairballs though that slow digestion. Puking at times not immediately after eating would concern me much more.

Mackenzie Obermeyer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.