Cat refusing all food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ArmyFrau, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmyFrau

ArmyFrau New Member

and I am out of town!
    My husband is taking care of her. She has refused all food for 24 hours now. He skipped both insulin shots.
    I have to decide whether to try and get my cat sitter to take her to the vet tomorrow or can she wait until Friday afternoon when I get home.

I don’t know if anything else wrong with her. She started reducing her intake over the last 5 days but with me gone and our house being sided I knew she was stressed.
    She’s only 4 years old and was diagnosed in April of this year.

Can she go 2.5 days without eating?!?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

No definitely NOT go 2.5 days without food!!!!
    It is important that cats eat. Do not leave it more than 24 hours or you will risk other problems.
    Try other foods to get her to eat. The most important thing is that she eats.... even higher carb food if necessary. Any food to start her eating.
    Also with no insulin it is VERY important that you test for ketones in the urine as soon as possible. Ketones can lead to ketoacidosis (DKA) which can be deadly in cats. Go to the pharmacy or Walmart and buy a bottle of Ketostix today, collect a specimen of urine and test it as per the instructions on the bottle. Anything more than a trace you need to take to vet ASAP.
    If she won’t eat and you can’t give insulin you need to take her to the vet in the morning. Don’t leave it any longer.

I strongly recommend you start testing the blood sugars to keep her safe.

Please keep us updated. All the best
    Bron

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Beautiful kitties!!

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

As they've said the most important thing right now is for her to eat something 24 hours without eating is already a very long time and you risk complications, give her anything food with gravy, bayb food ( without onions) boiled chicken , tuna whatever it takes she needs food, if your husband feels up to eat he could try syringe feeding her

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd have him bring her to the vet today. It might be dka or pancratitis

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.