Cat Sitters in NYC

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Alexia and Blue, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

So my roommate just watched me home test(successfully) Blue and I think he is a little freaked out about the home testing. Him just feeding and giving a shot to Blue while I am gone has turned into a process. He is extremely passive aggressive and the way he is hinting around how much of a hassle it will be, is making me feel uneasy. I have 2 questions. 1. there are two nights that he definitely can't be here-June 29th and June 30th-for class and for a concert. Now if he does watch Blue the rest of the time, is it okay if those two nights as long as Blue is fed, can the insulin be skipped? 2. I want to explore all my opinions here, especially because I am worried about this, are there any reliable cat sitters that could be on call or lend a helping or maybe even just be the primary sitter that anyone knows of? The unfortunate thing is that since he just got expensively diagnosed I don't really have a lot of money, but will do what I can. Ugh, I feel like it is always one thing after the other. I don't really want to board him because he was separation anxiety. Frustrated that I have to leave. I will be gone June 16th-July 2nd. Any help is much appreciated.

New updates on Blue's spreadsheet.

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm going to connect you with another new NY member his name is Ryan and his cat is Hemmy - He goes by Saabs and Hemmy on here. He is on the Upper West Side, but has been through cat sitters and may be able to offer some guidance.

I know he's traveling right now, but let's see if we can connect the two of you.

Also, and it's just a thought, but well... I know what you told me about his attachment to you, but how would he be a) around other cats, b) in someone else's house for the duration of your being away? Yes, I'm talking about my house, I don't know how practical it will be. I do have an extra bedroom where I can keep him separated and well, I do know how to test and shoot. So, maybe keep this idea as a back up, if all else fails plan?

3. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be a "negative Nelly" but do you really trust your roommate with Blue? Will you be available by phone while you are away? I'd give some serious consideration to Hilary's (incredible) offer. I'd rather have my cat a little freaked out but with someone who knows what they are doing. It's a tough choice though, I know.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Traci - Does that mean Boomer's coming for a visit? :lol:

What in the world am I thinking? ohmygod_smile

5. cornad

cornad Member

I wish I could! I'm in Brooklyn but I moved back home with my family--not enough room to cat sit. I can run it passed my family today but I'm afraid I already know what the answer is.

I wouldn't leave my cat with a roommate that's disinterested or if you have a gut feeling telling you it's not a good idea. Intuition is so important. Good luck on finding help.

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I think Sashasmom lives in NYC/Manhattan area. You can try PMing her: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=275

Gia (and Quirk) lives in Brooklyn but not sure if she would be able to help out.

I know there's a few other NYC members, at least on the old board. Not sure if they made it over here to the new board.

7. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

What happened is last night he watched me home test, and then afterwards I was like see it isn't so bad, the one thing he seems to hate is the warm sock. And his response, and he is extremely passive aggressive, was how much of a hassle it is going to be for him but he will do it. And then it turned into, well what if things come up? What if Laurie calls me to babysit, I can't turn that kind of money down. What about the 2 nights I have class, or that concert I am going to? Or blah blah. Before his attitude when I point blank was like Tyler can you handle this, he said most definitely, now it is like well I mean I kinda have to and I will try my best but I can't promise that I can be here every time at 12 hours. And he about how he had been checking on Blue every morning when I was at work but how the other day he was late to work and ran out the door without checking because he isn't programmed to think about it. Like I said, he is super passive aggressive so it seems like he is doing his little dance about this. It definitely was enough to freak me out. I leave on Wed and I have been working my butt off to try and get everything figured out for him before I leave.

No, Traci, that is what is so scary. I will be in Sweden for 2 and a half weeks and I won't just be a phone call away.

Hillary, I have never tried to have someone else watch him in their home before. I have lived with people who have had cats before and at first Blue is shy and wants to hide or hiss/growl but after a little bit they were buddies and would play with each other. The thing that always concerned me was other people's cats and how they would react to Blue. Blue's first owner declawed him so if he is not liked, he has no way to defend himself. But since you have 4 lovelies, they obviously like other cats. But I wouldn't want to impose, you have done so much for me already. I'm stuck.

I just want to be able to leave with the assurance that he is going to be well taken care of, especially since I can't call everyday for a report like I would like to.

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Well I am an option and all mine are declawed so you have no worries. I would never let them mix together without supervision and may keep them apart the whole time, just to be safe. I'll see how things go and decide. It's been a while since we had a boy in the house and well. Colorwise, he will fit in.

So, it's an option, like I said, if you are able to find someone closer and keep Blue home, that of course is better, but if not. I will be home during that time and can help out.

Just let me know.

And I realize you don't know me very well, but I don't say things I don't mean. So, this is a real offer - I just hope Blue likes a train ride :razz:

9. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

Hillary, you are seriously a life saver. I am going to talk to Tyler about this and if he is still making me feel uneasy about this, I may have to take you up on your offer. You just let me know how much you would like or what I can do for you. You have been mine and Blue's guardian angel in all this and I don't know what I would do without you.

Oh boy, MTA, WATCH OUT!

10. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Wow! BIG plans! That's a serious vacation. You need to feel absolutely secure with who is watching him so you don't have to worry. I've never met Hilary in person either, :lol: but she knows what to do with a diabetic and she won't flake on you.

11. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

I'll put my 2 cents in for Hillary :)
    she's been around these parts for a while now and often sends me meters and stuff for the newbie kits we do. besides always being around and willing to help here on the board, she has helped a few members now and actually met some too if i remember correctly right Hillary? I'd let her take care of my kitties.........if she were crazy enough to take on my bunch :D

12. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I'll also vouch for Hillary. She's been around a while, knows the ropes, and has gone out of her way to help folks in the area who are having problems with home-testing (which also means she's had experience testing and injecting a bunch of different cats).

If my Gwyn were still around, I'd have no hesitation in letting her stay with Hillary.

13. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Awwwww if I could be humble, I'd be blushing at all the compliments!

And Cindy - I had notice I said had 2 boxes of meters to send you and well, I've been giving them out locally and am now down to 1/2 box of meters..... ohmygod_smile But I guess that saves you from having to mail them to the East Coast!

Alexia - In order to do this - I will want a copy of his medical records (just in case I need to take him to the vet), likes/dislikes, his carrier, favorite toys, a well worn by you t-shirt or something with your scent so he doesn't think you deserted him. Your insulin - as I only have Lantus and a few U100 syringes on hand - I wouldn't want to change insulins, unless you are comfortable with that -- and contact details of course....since you'll be overseas, we can keep in contact via skype and email (if you have access). Need to know what foods he likes, or he will get what I give my girls - we have lots of food choices in my house.

oh boy....... nailbite_smile nah just kidding ;-) or am I?

14. Alexia and Blue

Alexia and Blue Member

I talked to Tyler and I think Hillary, you are the only person that I know that I can 100% confident in. I know you are a wonderful person, but having so many people vouch for you makes me know that this is the right decision for my little man. If you are sure, because I do feel a little bad about it, I would love to take you up on your offer. I have already bought food for when I am gone (I bought 45 cans of Friskies, 3 cartoons of strawberries, and 2 low carb can of tuna for treats for $35!!! I could only get 24 cans of w/d for that, so take that prescription diet food!!!), I was going to ask you if I could bring a pillow case of mine for him, since that will definitely smell like me, so that is awesome you requested something like that. Medical records I am getting on Monday. I will bring his kit-meters, strips, ketone strips, vaseline, neosporin, sock, etc. As well as insulin and syringes. And contacts will be no problem at all, and I know that my cousin who I will be staying with has Skype.

I feel like there is so much more to say but I am completely speechless at your generosity. I am sure we will talk sometime to get all the details figured out.

You also need to tell me your likes/dislikes... ;-)

15. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

HILLARY IS AWESOME !!!! :thumbup

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT !!!! \M/

16. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

This is the best!!!! Hillary, you're terrific!!! I would trust Hillary with any one of my kitties. This is a great decision. :RAHCAT :dizcat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.