Cat still loosing weight, please help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ziggymom, Dec 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggymom

Ziggymom Member

I would like to know if there is something I can feed Ziggy that wouldn't affect his bs. He has lost a massive amount of weight and is skin, bones and fur. I made him some boiled boneless skinless chicken breast and he is devouring it. What about ground turkey? Please understand this is to supplement the two feedings a day. Chicken has 0 carbs, so I thought it would be ok. I am concerned about him becoming anemic do to the excessive loss of weight. Any ideas, help, info would be welcome .

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

How much are you feeding? You can feed more than twice a day, I fed my cat 4-6 times in a 24 hour period. The chicken, turkey, and really any meat should be fine in addition to his regular food. Here’s a calculation to determine calories needed
    [13.5 x weight in lbs.] + 70
    Check Dr Lisa’s food chart to see how many calories are in the canned food you’re feeding. Since he’s underweight, you will want to use his optimum weight rather than his actual weight in the calculation.

3. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

If he’s needing to gain then feed the higher calorie -low carb food all day! Except 2 hrs prior to test/shot time. When bg isn’t stable, they have a hard time using the calories properly & seem hungry all the time. Feeding several times a day helps the bg stay stable also. :)

4. Ziggymom

Ziggymom Member

His vet only wanted to have him eat twice a day. I have started giving him access to food all he wants of the low carb food. He was waking me every hour all night long otherwise. Doesn't make any sense to me to put someone or something on a diet when they are starving. He's hard to get a sample for bg test in the a.m. cause of the hunger. He just wanted to get that food. I poked about 5 times, then let go. He wasn't cooperating due to ravenous hunger . Will try again later.

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Try letting him eat a little & test then, or test as he is munching. It will take about 10-15 minutes for the food to begin to raise the blood sugar. When we first started out, due to her very unstable #’s, and being very hungry, I would put a bowl of wet food in the freezer for about an hour & then put it out for overnight. As long as you’re sure he will eat it 2 hrs prior to amps & shot. The testing will become easier; I can almost do it in the dark & anywhere. I still put Baby up on her table/blankie to check her with treats ready. The purebites shredded chicken is a good snack, or they have other flavors. She likes the Dr Elseys clean protein dry that I use for a snack, treat.

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. Ziggymom

Ziggymom Member

We're still working on it, finally got an actual number this morning after several HI's. But also still very inconsistent. Still no a.m. pre food/shot. He is completely uncooperative, won't let me touch his ears, much less get blood out of him. Frustrated , but I am still determined.

7. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Try desensitizing- Sharon 14 taught me this. Take him to the one spot where you test/shoot but just love on him & give treats. They begin to associate that spot with love & treats. Try singing softly to him as it helps you both relax a little. Some cats feel your tension & react accordingly. Baby was a handful in the beginning- I didn’t think she would ever cooperate & that I would just relax! Good for you for hanging in there! It takes a while but you will get there.

Sharon14 likes this.
  8. Ziggymom

Ziggymom Member

Thanks for the encouragement , definitely needed. I was supposed to be getting as many tests as possible over the weekend, but they have been terribly inconsistent and not enough to report to the vet to advice on a dosage change. Sometimes I get blood the first try, orher times nothing. He has one white ear, one black. Can't seem to get anything from his dark ear. The white one looks like a pin cushion. He is currently under the bed, and time for a bg test .

9. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

The testing will get easier. What size lancets are you using? Be sure they are 25-28gauge, the larger gauge makes it much easier.

10. Ziggymom

Ziggymom Member

Purched 26 guage on Saturday.

Sharon14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.