Cat suddenly not eating, help!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by vpom924, Sep 30, 2018.

1. vpom924

vpom924 New Member

My 8 year old cat was diagnosed with diabetes last year so I’m not too familiar with everything. He gets 3 units of prozinc 2x/day. Everything was fine and suddenly last night his back lags went limp and he vomited so I gave him some honey on the guns..he got better and then ate a good amount of food.

Today was a different story, he only ate a tiny bit today, I tried everything. I gave him Pepcid ac to see if maybe it was nausea but it didn’t help. He’s acting normal he just won’t eat today. My vet is useless and said they were too busy to see him today. After doing some research I realized I could test his glucose at home which I did and is was low, 86. Not sure what to do at this point I just hope he make it through the night as I can’t afford emergency vet. Any tips/tricks much appreciated!!!

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome. I’m glad you’ve started home testing! How long after his shot was the 86?

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB.
    What type of meter are you using? 86 is still a safe BG level.
    How long ago did you give insulin (how many hours ago rather than the time) and did you give 3 units? Did your cat eat anything prior to the insulin shot or since?

4. vpom924

vpom924 New Member

Thanks for replying! He was at 86 about 24 hours after his last insulin shot

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Definitely don’t give him another shot at those numbers! Have you tested again since then to see where he’s at?

6. vpom924

vpom924 New Member

I borrowed my moms meter that she uses for her diabetes. I thought a healthy level was between 120-300, is that correct? I last gave insulin about 24 hour prior to testing his glucose and he ate a full meal, it was 3 units.

7. Djamila

A non-diabetic cat will be between 50-120 on a human meter. We don’t recommend giving insulin if they are below 200 when you are first starting. And it sounds like 3u would be way too much for your kitty anyway.

If you could get a second test, it would be really helpful. Is he eating yet? Will he eat any treats?

8. vpom924

vpom924 New Member

No, I won’t give him insulin until he’s rated a full meal! I haven’t checked it again, how often should it be checked?

9. Djamila

When you aren’t giving insulin, you don’t really need to check. I’d like a second data point to try to figure out if he was super over dosed and the insulin is wearing off, or if he just doesn’t need insulin. And also to make sure that the test was good and not a wonky test strip. That doesn’t happen very often, but it does happen.

10. vpom924

vpom924 New Member

He was on 2 units last year but after some tests they changed it to 3. He Just became due for his annual exam (great timing). I could try to get another check in the morning. He still will only eat a tiny bit, the only thing that works is a few small pieces of deli turkey breast

Djamila likes this.
  11. Djamila

I’m falling asleep - so a quick note - if you can get a second test at some point, that would help me or whoever is around to help you sort this out.

I’d your kitty isn’t eating, that is serious. Try feeding anything that will entice him to get calories. If he still won’t eat then he needs to see a vet, and if your vet doesn’t care then I would encourage you to call around and find someone else to see.

12. vpom924

vpom924 New Member

Thanks so much for your help. I tried to get him to the vet yesterday but they didn’t seem the least bit concerned. I’m going to try to get him to a new vet tomorrow. I appreciate your help so much!

13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Good morning! Has your kitty eaten yet today? If not, I would definitely get him to a vet first thing this morning. Ketones are a concern if he isn't eating and doesn't have insulin onboard (again, it was totally right to NOT give yesterday).

14. vpom924

vpom924 New Member

I woke up this morning and saw he had rated more of the tuna I left out for him last night and he also ate some more pieces of turkey, but not enough where I was comfortable giving him his insulin. I’m going to try to get him to a vet today. Thanks for checking!!

15. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hope you’re able to get him to the vet. Have you gotten a test this AM?

16. vpom924

vpom924 New Member

Update, took kitty to the vet on Monday and levels and bloodwork were all fantastic, vet thinks he may be going into remission and was getting too much insulin. Still not eating a lot but am happy to know his diabetes is under control right now. Thanks everyone for the help!

Sharon14 likes this.
  17. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Hi! Is your baby still not eating? Can you tell me about him - his likes, dislikes, zoomies (hyper/playful) habits, etc? When they start feeling good, truly like themselves again, they get.. finicky. What does he LOVE, food wise? Make it a different way - half spoon-smoosh, half blended with water. Dab your finger in it, waft it under his nose - let him smell it, dab it lightly on his lips to lick it off... stay CLOSE. Within 3 feet stay close - he might dip down and eat. DONT MOVE - it'll hurt, it'll suck but don't move.

From the sounds of him he's nervous himself, and he wants/needs you there - I bet if you play with his food, push it down from the sides towards the middle, etc. he'll respond even more. Have you fed him from your fingers? Stay with him - talk to him, softly, lightly, veryvery light pet on him, no big movements - nice and slow, if you move.

Remember, slow... soft, light... your baby'll eat. It might take abit but he will. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. he will. Calm, deep breathes..

18. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

The placement of the food bowl means a lot too - try to figure out where he wants it, and adjust as needed - slow, soft voiced to him. Sometimes repositioning the bowl helps. If he eats a little, and leaves - take up the bowl, wait 10 minutes. WAIT, don't rush, wait. Then offer it again and wait - patience, remember. Keep yourself calm, relaxed. Think about something, anything that makes you happy - be patient. Sometimes it takes every 5 - 15 minutes, of offering the food. Be calm.. find out. You've got this.