cat very resistant to insulin shots

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by brooke84, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brooke84

brooke84 New Member

Hi. I have googled this issue but haven't been able to find a solution that works. I am a pet sitter and one of my pet clients is diabetic. She is old and a bit frail. The routine done for morning and night shots is to lock her in a room with her food (away from the other animals). I get the shot ready and walk in and check her bowl. Sometimes she only eats a few bites so she can't have her shot, and this is why she's not given her shot while eating. Her food cannot be left out for later because the other animals will eat it. If she's eaten enough, I then give the shot, or attempt to... she pretty much associates me with her dreaded shots and knows when it's coming. She puts her back to the wall and growls if I approach. I can't get near her without her attacking me - she has scratched my hand numerous times. I really just don't know what to do. I have missed more than a few shots at this point because I couldn't get near her. There is nobody around to help restrain her. When I do manage the shot, it's only with the element of surprise - if she's in a good mood and her back is turned, I can sometimes sneak in the shot if I'm quick enough. Otherwise, she'll fight me.

I am thinking of buying gloves to protect my hands, but they'd have to be thin enough that I have range of motion to pinch her skin. Her skin is pretty thin too - not much to grab. I do feel bad for her, and I feel bad when I can't give her her shots. And because I am the pet sitter, there is very little I can do to change the situation. Can anyone help?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You might try going over to the house more often and while you're there, giving her special treats that only you give her

Let her learn to associate you with something other than an already stressful time when her usual humans aren't there

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You might try using low carb treats (freeze dried chicken or a bit of cooked chicken) to bribe her. This technique is used for cats that are of a different opinion as regards blood glucose testing.

There are also timed feeders that have a microchip and will only open for the cat with the microchip.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Curious which insulin it is. If it's a longer acting one then it's not as vital that she's eating a full meal.
    How much does she get each shot? What food is she eating? How much longer are you sitting for her? Does she let you pet her when it's not shot time?
    It's so hard as just a temporary sitter because she doesn't have that long term relationship with you.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would try giving her a yummy low carb treat while you give the insulin.
    If she is not eating her food maybe a change of diet may help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.