? Cat very sick after new treatment goes wrong

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BrianF, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianF

BrianF New Member

Darwin is an 18 year old male grey tabby, he has had renal failure for 4 years. I give him subQ fluids regularly, and on his last visit a month ago they recommended to up the frequency.

They also recommended a drug called Adequan to help with his mobility issues. He's been stumbling around and has trouble getting up sometimes. I was discussing how I can't get him to take any medication, pills, liquids, he doesn't do well with any of it. The only thing that works is a B12 shot that I can put in the subQ line, it has a little plug that lets me put the B12 into, so it mixes and is really easy. The vet recommended the adequan for this purpose.

When I finally gave him the injection, I didn't notice any changes right away. But later that day he refused to eat, and the next day the same. I went to the vet thinking he was tired of his food, gosh after 4 years of the same kidney diet who wouldn't be? I also thought maybe he was just on his last leg, but I wanted to try some new food. He ate some, but I was still worried. He looked to be in discomfort, and didn't want to do the things he normally likes, go outside etc.

The next day it hit me like a ton of bricks. The new medication. It had to have had a negative effect, I mean he was obviously not himself lately. I call the vet and of course she's not there that day, so I have to wait till the next day. She says that I wasn't supposed to inject the Adequan into the line. When I picked up the medication, when we were discussing it, at no time was I told this. Even the bottle didn't say anything like that, just the dosage and frequency. I'm feeling guilty for not asking, and watching him tears my heart out.

I gave him more fluids that night, and noticed his swollen lip. I looked closer and I once again got hit by a ton of bricks. He has a sore on his mouth, that's why he isn't eating. I took him to a different vet that was open till 10PM and they said it was cancer. I mentioned the Adequan and I got a bad feeling from them like they were dodging the issue. They said it was just a coincidence, it might be an infection but it was likely cancer. They based this on the physical examination and a couple x-rays (they had to do it unsedated so they said the x-rays weren't as good).

They gave me pain meds and antibiotics for him. I gave him the pain meds, very small oral medicine, I was able to give it to him. The antibiotic was about 4x the amount and I tasted it accidentally, it was foul. I couldn't bring myself to torture him with that. I took him to see the primary vet the next day. They gave him an antibiotic shot. When they saw the x-rays the other vet took, they couldn't make any determinations. They recommended euthanasia. This all feels really wrong to me, I'm at fault for not giving the medicine correctly, but I feel like I should have gotten some instruction. Now it seems like they just want to brush this all away and I am so torn. I want to end his suffering, but if it's an infection and will clear up I could be making a dire mistake.

TL/DR: My 18 year old cat could have cancer, or an infection, and I have to make a decision. Further complicated by my guilt from possibly causing it, and poor communication with the vet. I want him to get better if it's just an infection, but if not I want to do the right thing.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry Darwin is unwell.
    Have they done any blood work to see how his kidneys are working?
    Do you know what stage of renal failure he is at.?
    Is he eating anything at all? Eating anything is better than not eating at all. Maybe try some soft food that he doesn't have to chew.
    I am sorry I am unable to help any further. Maybe someone else will be online soon and be able to help
    If you go to the subject line and on the left hand side there are three options. Choose the question mark and this should get more eyes on it.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat gets adequan shots for arthritis.... It really has no side effects. I agree with the vet that says it's a coincidence.

What are your cats phosphorous numbers? Can you post a copy of his most recent blood work labs? (If you don't have them call and ask for an email copy.).

I think a more likely cause are the mouth sore and advancing ckd.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

The antibiotics definitely are bitter. You can put it in an empty size 4-5 gel cap. Vitamin stores may sell them, I buy online. Or just hide it in a bit of butter.
    The antibiotics could be upsetting his stomach too.

Try tuna, warming his food, cheese sprinkled on top, deli meats.... Whatever you can.

There's a great group on Facebook called Cats with Chronic Renal Failure. Very helpful bunch.

5. JanetNJ

You could ask the vet to get you an appetite stimulants too.

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

You could call the makers of Adequan and tell them what happened. Maybe they would give you peace of mind.
    I hope the antibiotics help to heal his chin and he is soon eating again. :bighug:

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What are the potassium blood levels? If low that can cause muscle problems like you describe. Not infrequently kidney cats suffer from low blood levels of potassium. There are oral potassium supplements and potassium can be injected in subQ fluids.

8. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Research feline cancer. Somewhere I read that a sore/cyst on the lip is a sign. I know it happened with my cat, Pogo, and when he got the bump removed, I feel so guilty I didn't pay the $100 for a biopsy. It may not have helped anyway since he died just a few months later.

9. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi I've never used adequan so I'm no help there but the suggestion of calling the manufacturer seems a good one, besides that I also think it would be good to have a blood work done because many of his symptoms do look like maybe his kidney problem has gone worse and start targeting some issues may help him.

And do try pureeing his food or assist feeding him if he has mouth issues that will make eating or chewing his food painful , sometimes artritis attacks the jaw . so they stop eating because it hurts them

10. BrianF

BrianF New Member

Thank you for your advice and kind words. I don't know about his specific levels or the stage of his CKD, but I know it's late stages. Originally we did once a week (which I was told wasn't that effective, but his levels were fine for years on that) Then last November his kidneys were getting worse, so I was tasked with upping the frequency. Last month they wanted to up the frequency again. I decided on every 5 days the first time, and this recent visit I did every other day, which was very taxing for him so I changed to every 3 days. Darwin's QoL has always been my biggest concern, and it's something I never stop thinking about it.

Update: I've been spending every moment with him this weekend, doing everything I can for him. The past couple days his mornings have been the same, he was grumpy, the meds had worn off and he was in pain. He would just want to sit in the upside down box (with large entryway) that I made for him, a nice dark place to be isolated. I would sit next to the box and pet him. Today when I woke up he was purring gently right next to me. Genuinely in good spirits, eating is about the same but maybe he doesn't want this food, I'll give him one of the others. But his drinking is greatly improved, he is drinking water as I type this. I can tell he still has discomfort on his lip, but not like before, he actually wants to rub that side of his face now (I am very very careful about touching his face). We had an antibiotic shot for him on Saturday, I was told it would take up to 48 hours to take effect. Right now we're at 40 hours. I was going to schedule the euthanasia today, home service, but with his new found love of life I'm really torn. I want to wait another day, to see if he still improves, this really is incredibly difficult.

11. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

12. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I doubt very seriously that giving the adequan incorrectly would cause cancer. If he has cancer, I'm sure it's coincidental to the adequan. You should put your mind to rest on that point!

If Darwin has rallied and is enjoying life I'd keep on treating him. When he reaches the point where life is too much for him, he will let you know.

Prayers for you and Darwin! :):cat:

13. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I am so sorry Darwin is feeling so bad..
    I have used adequan for years and help others with going it at my shop and have never seen a reaction so please do not torture yourself.... I think they were saying you don't want to dilute it in fluids.

Cancer in the mouth is serious and can be aggressive --did they give you a plan?
    Maybe even tramadol injections for comfort?
    sending prayers...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.