Cat will not eat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane thompson, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane thompson

Diane thompson New Member

I'm a professional pet sitter. I've taken care of diabetic cats with out any problems. I have been fortunate they were all good eaters. I just started pet sitting for a new cat, the first few days she ate fine. When i called the owners because she wasn't eating well, they said it was because of the hot weather. Encourage her & she will eat. As long as she eats 1/2 a can of Fancy Feast, give her, her shot. The last two days it took forever to get her to eat 1/4 of her food, she's happy to see me & eager to eat, takes one or two mouth full than walks away, it took at least an hour to get her to eat, she only ate when i added a few treats & some dry food. This morning I gave her a can Friskes, she ate 1/2 the can. Her food is eaten during the day. Owners don't seem too concerned, they feel she will eat.
    My questions, how much food should she eat before I give her, her shot. If she just eats a mouthful should I not give the shot? When do I tell the owners I'm bring her into the vet.
    Thanks in Advance
    Diane Thompson
    Playful Paws Pets

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Diane, and welcome to FDMB.

Can you let us know what insulin the cat is receiving, please? It will help members to give you better information.

Mogs

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Also what is dose of insulin?
    Do you test the cats blood sugar?
    Does the owner?

4. Diane thompson

When I go over tonite I'll post the type of insulin. The owner does test. She left a note the test was med/low, but a good low. I'll post exactly what the note said later. Beedie (the cat) gets 3ml, syringes are all filled for me.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You mean gets 3 UNITS, not milliliters (mL), right?
    Pet insulins have 40 units per mL and human insulins have 100 units per mL.

6. Diane thompson

She is on 2ml of Lantus. The note was her sugar was med/low, but a good low.
    She ate better for me tonite. Finished 1/2 can of fancy feast.
    Thanks

7. Diane thompson

Yes, units!

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

With Lantus, it is OK if the cat doesn't eat a lot up front as the insulin onset and effect is gentle and long. As the glucose drops, that should provoke some hunger. If she seems otherwise OK, it may be OK to shoot.

9. Diane thompson

Thank you! This makes me feel a lot better.

10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Diane,

Sometimes if you warm the food a little (say 10 seconds at medium in a microwave) it can be more tempting. (Make sure there are no hot spots before serving it to kitty.)

Here's a link to a forum sticky with lots of tips on how to tempt a cat to eat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.