Cat with a PEG tube-need suggestions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley and Pattie, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Harley has had his PEG tube in since November 09. Things are going well but how long can it stay in? He is very active with it in. He goes outside - under supervision. Runs around the house, does everything!

Are there any other options other than this long tube sticking out of his side. Vet does not want to remove it since Harley is prone to ketones and that is how I give him additional water and at times medications. Any advice or suggetions.

Pattie

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Is it a stomach peg tube or neck one? Is he eating well? I cannot believe if he is eating and continues eating well that any vet would leave a tube in that long, especially if it is a stomach peg tube. They are usually only put in to keep a cat from hepatic lipidosis and help them over it until they eat on their own again. I would worry about a major infection starting. All of mine with tubes came out once the kitty started eating, never used just for giving meds when needed.

3. Harley and Pattie

The tube is in his stomach. Harley is eating great. I do give him extra fluids in it if he gets ketones. That happens about every 3 months. His vet is on vacation (whole month of May) and will return soon. Should I be asking that it be pulled out?

Pattie

4. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

A safer bet, rather than leaving a peg tube in so long solely for extra fluid applications, might be to give him sub-q fluids as needed.
    I do know that some people have feeding tubes for years and years without serious complications, however, so perhaps it is not that dangerous to have one in so long for a kitty?

~M

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Pattie

PEG tubes, and those that go into the stomach rather than the neck or through the nose, can stay in indefinitely without major issues. However, if you feel your cat doesn't need it and it's getting in the way, ask your vet to justify its continued use. If there is no pressing reason for it to stay, there is no pressing reason for it not to be pulled.

6. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Shiloh had his PEG tube in for 3 months, until he started eating. Yes, it was a nuisance with the stitches getting ripped out frequently. I personally would not leave a tube in if my cat was eating fine. Fluids can be giving subq. Too much chance of infection, plus, the cat must not like it in there. I'd ask for it out. Donna

7. Harley and Pattie

But can I do subq fluids at home? Whenever Harley gets ketones, the vet wants me to give an additional 40-80cc fluid through out the day to keep the kidneys from damage. Would the subq do the same?

Pattie

8. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Hi Pattie,

Read this page - has info and photos showing how to give sub-q fluids.
    http://www.felinecrf.com/managh.htm

I've used sub-q fluids in the past when Layla's had ketones. I would think it would be more beneficial than oral/tube syringing water - my non-medical opinion.

Pam & Layla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.