? Cataracts in (Diabetic) Felines?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Hiya all,
    I was just looking through some of the paperwork from my vet and I see that Lou apparently has cataracts. His paperwork from his diagnosis in June 2017 has normal eyes, and the most recent has gone up to the mild level in both eyes. My vet has never mentioned anything about this. Obviously the unregulated diabetes was the biggest discussion point. I think I need to contact her and I'll admit I'm annoyed that nothing has been mentioned.

Has anyone else had a kitty with cataracts? My research indicates it's really rare in cats, which makes it more mind boggling that nothing was mentioned. Is there anything that we could do to slow them down??

Thanks in advance!

2. Amanda and a Loudogg

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Amanda, Olive has (small) cataracts I'm told. And my Smokey had them. I don't know if its diabetes related vs just aging like people. Dogs have them more I think.

4. Butterball

Butterball Member

Cataracts in diabetic cats develop from complications of high blood sugar. So keeping a diabetic cat well regulated is the best thing you can do to ensure they don't develop them. Some cats will get them just as a result of aging. Untreated hyperthyroidism can also result in cataracts so that's another thing you want to keep a look out for in older cats

5. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

I think Harley may be developing cataracts. If you look at his eyes from the side they look ever so slightly cloudy. I did have a Pug diagnosed with diabetes after starting Prednisone, she was totally blind within 3 months from cataracts. After about 2 weeks she fully compensated with "brain memory" and got around like crazy, never crashed into anything! My Black Lab also developed old age cataracts, vision diminished but not fully blind.

6. Amanda and a Loudogg

Thanks everyone! I can see a cloudy spot in one of Lou's eyes now, and it bums me out immensely. When he was diagnosed, there was nothing (at least nothing noticeable). It's amazing what's happened in less than a year, so I'm guessing it is from the diabetes. I feel like he's way to young for these shenanigans! Did any of your vets do anything about the cataracts? Or is it just a too bad so sad situation?

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

In cats cataracts grow very slowly especially if BG under control. However, this is not the case for diabetic dogs.
    My Mitten who was diabetic for over 10 years had cataracts that were barely noticeable.
    My civi Moxie, who is not 11 years old has a bade case of cataracts, In one eye is is basically blind. The cataracts were first noticed when she was about 8 weeks old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.