Cats are independent....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bella & jasmine, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bella & jasmine

bella & jasmine New Member

unless they belong to me apparently. Both are rescues. (And loving, cuddle bugs)

One is a Maine coon between the age of 12-14. Last year she was diagnosed with hypertension. she is medicated and is once again her royal highness...

The other is a shorthair who is 8. Last week she was diagnosed with diabetes. We tried a pill which caused massive vomiting. (Don't get me started on the vet...) today I hospitalized her as she is lethargic and dehydrated. (The vet didn't call me back yesterday...)

I travel for work, and am not a native to my current state....therefore I don't have a good system of caretakers. The vet suggested I put my 8 year old to sleep...but she is my sweet pea. (A neighbor has been kind enough to help medicate the other cat previously)

Yes I will be getting a new vet, I just need to stabilize my girl.

My question, how do you take care of a diabetic animal when your job requires travel? I have to work to pay the expensive vet bills...*sigh*

mirnta likes this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

1) Change to a low carb, over the counter, canned food such as Friskies pates (except mixed grill). This can reduce the glucose 100-200 mg/dL, depending on the cat. If already giving insulin, drop the dose by 1-2 units when you do this, so your cat doesn't become hypoglycemic (too low, which can kill quickly).

2) Home glucose testing. Numbers at home may be 100-180 mg/dL lower than at the vet. See my signature link Glucometer Notes for more details, plus reference ranges.

3) If giving insulin, use one of these: ProZinc, BCP PZI, Lantus, or Levemir. Other insulins won't last 12 hours in most cats. With one of the recommended insulins, shots need to be given every 12 hours, so you may need to arrange for someone to do some of those. Try vet techs needing to pick up some extra work, or high school/college students going into the veterinary sciences; they'll get experience and you'll get help.

mirnta likes this.
  3. mirnta

mirnta Member

I'm in the same boat totally!! I end up taking my cat with me when I can..i have no support since I just moved...and can't find a decent vet yet who understands. I hear ya..:)

4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Now that you have introduced yourself and you cat, please join us on the Feline Health forum for any further questions.

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome, Bella and Jasmine! :bighug:

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.