Cats at risk using only canned food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lynncat, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynncat

Lynncat Member

A friend who has been helping me with my kitty problems and is a nurse so understands more of the material, sent me this link. I'm passing it on because it flat out scarred me. I'm just not sure what to do now. I thought the canned diet was the answer, both for my diabetic cat and to keep the rest healthy.
    http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

low carb wet canned food from janet and binkey's chart IS THE BEST YOU CAN GIVE YOUR CAT PERIOD

3. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Look, you have to pick your battles. Of that list the one concern would be the bha as I think the rest can be avoided if you look carefully. Of the rest I think garlic is the one you might run into but even that is mostly gone from cat foods. The rest are not necessary but probably not a big deal. I think too you will find soon they will be avoiding cans with bha (premium brands probably already are.) as it is more accepted as a potential problem. You have a diabetic cat, you *need* to be on a lowcarb wet food or make your own. On the balance for any cat, i'd bet money lowcarb wet beats out anything on that list against the known effects of dry.

4. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

just a fwiw, that woman who has that blog has been notoriously wrong about alot of stuff posted on both her blog and her yahoo group site, and this goes back several years. if you read thru a lot of it and don't rip your hair out doing it, you'll see that alot of what she says is kinda "out there". from what i've seen myself, it's not so much that the science she posts is wrong, her interpretations of it are kinda bizarre and often don't make much sense.

5. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

You can't believe everything you read on the internet, and this is a good example.

6. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

And if really worried, only buy the canned foods that do not have the linings ... not all do.

7. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

cat(2)_steam

Consider the source, then read this by vet Dr. Lisa Pierson, and see who you believe:

http://www.catinfo.org/

8. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Ohhh. I know who this is now. I was on her list....for a while, when Pearl was first diagnosed, but due to the crazed vehemence left shortly there after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.