Cats blood sugar is high

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Calimarie, Jul 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calimarie

Calimarie New Member

Hello,
    My cat Charlie is 13 and he was diagnosed over a year in a half ago. After a year I thought he went into remission seeing he didn't need his Vetsulin for 2.5 months and now his sugar is usually in the 400's in the morning and theevening. His lowest number had been 310mg which is still to high. He eats canned cat food and all of it is grain free. He will also eat tuna and canned chicken. He gets fed 4 times a day. He currently gets 2 units of Vetsulin twice a day.Anyone have any suggestions for me, it would be much appreciated.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB. Hopefully, if Charlie was in true remission, we can help get him back there. In any case, we sure do want to help you get those BGs down and Charlie feeling better. What happened that indicated that Charlie was experiencing high blood sugar again?

Grain free food doesn't always mean low carb food which is best for our sugar cats. We can explore further after we find out what brands and varieties.

A good place to start is at the beginning, as essentially you are beginning another diabetic experience. I suggest you visit the Vetsulin forum here on the board, read the Beginner's Guide to Vetsulin there, and maybe there is information there that you haven't encountered, or just to refresh.

If you will create a signature and get a spreadsheet set up, then enter the insulin and testing data you have so far, we can see what's going on with Charlie better.

1. Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.
    2. Another thing that will help us help you is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his/her progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

You can post questions and concerns in the Main Health forum or the Vetsulin forum. Best wishes going forward. :cat:

3. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Welcome to you both. I hope you find this forum as fabulous as I do. There is a wealth of experienced folk here who are very generous of their time.

4. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

So sorry Charlie has come out of remission - how disappointing for you. Yes, check out the Vetsulin forum and ask questions there, hopefully with some more treatment you will be able to get him back into remission.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.