? Cats + eclipse

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by apple, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple

apple Member

Are you going to do anything to prevent/ protect your cat from getting sun during the eclipse?

I'm concerned about my sun bunnies. I think I'm going to kennel my crew.

What are others, that won't be around to supervise, going to do to keep their cats safe. I'm just off the edge of 100%. Our expected % is 98%.

Thanks

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Good discussion!
    I think we only get a peek of sun in the afternoons so I'll probably just close the front curtains to be safe. They're blackouts :).

3. apple

apple Member

Will your cat go under the curtains? My sun bunnies go between the window and the curtain.

They look out at the sun on regular days. So, I don't know if they would understand, don't look today......not wanting to risk their vision. I'm short one kennel, so one crew member will go in the bathroom and he will scream all day long.

I could give them a colandar and say, use this.:p:cool::joyful::D

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

there's really no need to do anything

The eclipse may cause some problems for wildlife (thinking it's dusk and starting their evening activities early) but our kitties don't sit around staring at the sun any other time so they won't be doing it tomorrow either. They don't know there's anything "special" to look at

The moon is going to be blocking most of the sun (during the eclipse) so it's going to be darker, not lighter

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

You do not have to worry about your cat during the eclipse. It will just be dark for a couple of minutes. They will probably sleep right through it.

Looking directly at the sun is never good for any animal or person, but there is no reason your cat should decide to stare at the sun tomorrow if they do not normally do so.

TempestsMum likes this.
  6. apple

apple Member

The light and dark isn't what affects the retina. The only "safe" time to view the eclipse is the few minutes of totality. The area I live in will not see totality, so there is no safe time for the sun bunnies.

Yes, I have sun bunnies that hang out in windows and look at the sun. They will look out, eyes watering, enjoying the sun/heat until I pull them from their sunny spot.

Retinas have no pain receptors. There is nothing to signal to an animal to stop looking.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

They are not looking directly into the sun....they are enjoying the heat they feel.

IF they were looking directly into the sun, they'd already have retina damage

8. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Cats and dogs are much smarter than we give them credit for. Having said that better safe than sorry. The eclipse won't last long, just bundle them up in the bathroom, basement or a bedroom with the blinds pinned down. Safety pins, craft paper, whatever you can think of. Love your animals and don't buy $1.99 sunglasses (for you and your kids, not the dog). Watch out for aliens. They think they're soooo smart with their stupid ray guns! We'll show them !
    And don't forget....
    tinfoilhatguy.jpg

9. FurBabiesMama

If your cats were staring at the sun every day, they would already be blind. The sun is no more damaging during the eclipse than any other time. It is never safe to look directly at the sun. (The reason it is safe during totality is that is completely covered, there is no sun to look at.)

10. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I remember this the last time it happened, 1999 I think it was. Having large animals and wee ones this discussion also came up. It was pointed out to me that animals never look directly at the sun therefore it's only 'daft' humans who end up with damaged retinas. And it turned out to be true. Nothing happened to any animal I know of, my pony, donkeys and assortment of other animals never actually noticed, didn't act any differently and no blindness whatsoever. I'm going to treat it like any other day. :)

11. FurBabiesMama

Below are excerpts from an article on PetMD which indicates that the biggest risk to them is their owner's excitement during the event. They recommend keeping them indoors during the event if there are concerns. If you already have an indoor cat, that is taken care of. :)

Thankfully, pet parents won't have to worry about their pets staring directly at the sun and hurting their eyes because, inherently, cats and dogs don't do this.

"Inside of the total eclipse path (or near it where more than 95 percent of the sun gets obscured), the sky darkens significantly and the ambient temperature can drop 10 degrees Fahrenheit, or so," said Edward Guinan, a professor of astronomy and astrophysics at Villanova University. "So animals and pets could easily sense this."

Still, as Guinan pointed out, even that shouldn't have much effect on pets or their behavior overall. In fact, the only way that your pets may become startled by the eclipse, Guinan said, is because of your reaction.

To ensure your pet doesn't get spooked by your reaction or to avoid any risk of them looking at the sun or being impacted by the light and temperature change, Guinan suggested pet parents leave their cats and dogs indoors at least 30 minutes before, and after, the total eclipse occurs.

12. Noah & me (GA)

Not to make light of this but three urban myths come to mind; dogs can't look up, bears can't run downhill and bears can't climb trees. Wanna bet your life on the last two?

13. Noah & me (GA)

Poor principal Skinner. "Let's burn down to observatory so this never happens again!"
    bart001.png

Squalliesmom likes this.
  14. Noah & me (GA)

Just in case, that's not me. Honest! I would be using a Faraday Cage.

15. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Maybe the eclipse is to blame for CC'S crazy numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.