Cat's Paw Bleeding Need Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by geekgirldany, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekgirldany

geekgirldany Member

I hate to bother the members but I hope you can give me some advice. A little long to explain what happened.

My cat's paw started bleeding suddenly late last night. He was laying in his bed sleeping and I cleared my throat which scared him. He jumped and I am not sure if his claw was caught on the bed or what but that is when I saw blood pool up on his hind leg paw/claws. He shook it and got it on his bed. It bleed a fair amount but stopped after 10 minutes. I sat him in my lap and held a towel on it to stop from bleeding. Hard to do because he doesn't like his paws being touched or held in anyway.

Well I looked at it and appears to be a "open" wound that is on the outside of the claw and runs down to the front of the paw pad. I say open because it is definitely not a scratch. I cleaned it off with water last night. Today I cleaned it with a wet towel... it had a couple of pieces of cat litter in it and I believe I removed the scab that was on it as there was little bit of blood on the white towel. All the while the cat was going crazy.

I was reading on other places about using Neosporin. I took a QTip, put the neosporin on it, and put it right into the wound.

He hasn't licked at it or messed with the paw at all since I put it on there. Licks the leg but not the paw.

Would that be enough to keep it clean enough to heal?

I worry about infection because of the litter box. I found that the pet store has a antiseptic that can be used. I thought about getting some of it.

Would appreciate any help as I've never been in this situation. He has been sick with the diabetes and stomach upset but never something like this.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I have no experience with open wounds but I would have done the same.... Neosporin. Can you tape gauze on it to keep litter and dirt out? If it starts feeling warm, swollen, or puss go to a vet. Maybe call the vet on the phone and see what they suggest.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Paw pads take longer to heal because, well, they are almost always in use. If you do try a wrap, make sure that is not too tight around the leg and around the toes. You don't want to cut off circulation.

Personally, I'd just swish the paw in a bit of cool water to clean it after a litter box rendezvous (this should loosen the litter debris), then dry it and apply a bit of neosporin.

Watch for signs of heat, swelling, inflammation.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Yong & Maury GA and Squalliesmom like this.
  4. geekgirldany

geekgirldany Member

Thank you all for replying.

I wish I could wrap it up but he wouldn't have it. Probably eat the wrapping. My vet said he is one of the hardest cat to treat :)

It is strange... not exactly on the paw pad but like on the outside of it and the claw. I am just wondering if litter might have built up and caused a sore. I read something about the clumping litter doing that.

So will the paw or paw pad actually feel hot? I mean you can feel it? Sounds silly I know but I've never dealt with it.

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Infections usually feel much warmer to the touch. Watch for swelling (also a sign of infection). He will most likely be just fine.

6. Wesley and Spicoli

Wesley and Spicoli Member

There may also be blood tinged drainage and/or puss. The worst case scenario is an abscess. The one our civvie had was actually green when it ruptured open. Just keep an eye on it the next couple days and if it doesn't improve/worsens then it's time to have the vet take a look. Also, if his blood glucose lvls start rising that might be an indicator of infection.

7. geekgirldany

geekgirldany Member

It might just be a trip to the Vet Monday if they will see him.

I just tried to clean it with a wet towel and it is hurting him much more than earlier. I mean screaming meows touching it. I put more Neosporin on it hurt him more than earlier.

It has been nearly a month since I took him to the Vet and he cut Kadee's claws. That claw is awful short. I am wondering if he could have been hurt then. Just thinking.

8. Wesley and Spicoli

Wesley and Spicoli Member

I'm sure if you told your vet the situation they'd be happy to see him. After all, they got into the profession because they love animals :) Most will try to squeeze you in.
    :bighug: I hope he gets to feeling better soon and they can figure out what's going on!! In the mean time, maybe put a sock over it? since he wont tolerate a wrapping? If he pulls it off then...well what can you do. Also, if you've vets office is 24/7 and your a normal customer they might not charge you ER fees.

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would go to a vet. From your description the would would have to be cleaned and bandage/covered. Periodically changing of the bandage and maybe cleaning/flooding with antiseptic would also be required. Oral antibiotics may also be required.

10. geekgirldany

geekgirldany Member

I am sure he will be going. Today did not go well. I tried cleaning with a wet cloth and it is really hurting him to clean it. Ended up putting neosporin on it which he doesn't lick off. I don't know why unless it hurts to lick his foot?? He isn't limping.

Never knew a 16 year old cat could be so strong. He was pushing against me trying to get away and I must admit it hurts my chest/arms. He is still very strong. Plus I am trying to treat him myself. One arm to hold him and the other cleaning the paw. It is hard. Plus the Vet forgot to cut the dew claw/toe claw on the front feet. One is very long and thick the other is very sharp. So I need to cut them off as they are hanging in my clothes. Aggravating the Vet did not cut them. I stopped because when he got older his claws got very thick and it seemed to hurt him for me to trim.

I thought tonight about taking a large bowl and soaking his foot. Which probably won't go well but worth a try. I saw pieces of litter in the wound but he just would not let me clean it.

Whew this poor cat has been through it over the years.

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Maybe change the litter to something not grains like yesterday's news or feline pine?

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, we had a huge yellow tom cat that got into fights a lot and his paws usually got the worst of it so he ended up with quite a few abscesses. I remember that we would fill a large pan with warm water with a little bleach in it and soak the affected paw.....it worked too!!

He didn't mind it too much...We'd just sit on the floor with the pan and cat, hold him (more or less) in our lap and hold the paw in the pan to soak for 5-10 minutes

Yeah, we got some pretty dirty looks when it was over, but he forgave us by the next meal time...lol

13. Govies mom (Karen)

Govies mom (Karen) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use bleach if anything in warm water soak it in warm water a little bit but you don't want to soak it too much because you don't want it all soggy. However you can use peroxide hold a Pall over the bowl and pour the peroxide over his paw..it'll Bubble Up and it'll look like white foam. That's the sign it it's cleaning anything that's in there. Next u wanna gently dry it or at least as long as he'll let you sit there and have it dry and what you might want to do is when you get a clearer look at it, you can get a bottle of liquid bandage at PetSmart I'm pretty sure or Petco would have it. I'm a dog groomer so I've run into a lot of open wounds I would not put Neosporin in an open wound tho because the cat will lick it off. The liquid bandage is just like super glue. It works great for holding split skin together. Hope that works for you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.